• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sod off soccerites, this is the time for a real sport, did anyone see Japan do bloody well last night??? 5 mins into the 2nd they were down 20-19 to France! a top 5 team no less. I am sure the French were a tad worried.

Awesome tight game between the Boks and Jonny Wilk. Man that dude just does not miss! what a legend!

Soccer is the worlds #1 game and for one logical reason, it the cheapest, easiest sport and relatively safe. Many of the poor nations of the world play it, for its ease to set up and play simplicity and cheapness of equipment. I have played, its great for fitness and bloody easy to play, no difficulties like cricket. Many of my friends love soccer and follow religiously and get excited about the big games. All power to them I will watch with them if Im around when there is a game that they want to see is on. But won't watch it by myself, there are more enjoyable sports on TV.

At school lunch times at primary school we played soccer by default, we didn't want to be getting (were forbidden to) our uniforms dirty meant that rugby was not viable. Where I come from when I was young soccer was for sooks who didn't like to get hit. The real game to play was Rugby

Soccer as a spectacle is not the most exciting, many fans take it upon themselves to amuse themselves at games, taken to extremes it results in Hooliganism. The BBC documentary with the undercover dude, Macintyre? showed this all to well. He infiltrated the band of evil Chelsea hooligans and proved those hooligans didn?t give an arse about the game, but the cared only for the rivalry and the ensuing organized fighting and thuggery that often followed. That's not sport. Those so called fans are not in it for the sport. In Argentina there was a massive delay last week as "fans" went ballistic and had to be controlled with water cannons. A Buenos Aires judge banned all games for 2 weeks. That is pathetic that such fanaticism can exist. Those guys need another outlet ( perhaps snowsports ;\) )

Soccer needs to change it rules to make it more exciting, a zonal offside rule like Ice Hockey rather than the pedantic current hindmost player rule.

0 - 0 draws turn me off they don't make me want to watch, I want to see goals. 12-9 games not 1-0.

J sports on Sky here have a plethora of soccer. Jleague, Euro games, Spanish League Serie A, Latin game, some nights there are 3 games on all 3 channels.

Great if you like the game. I put up with it, hoping to see other sports.

This thread was a Rugby World Cup thread, not the Premier League. Talk about it in another thread. Let rugby have it little moment in the sun.

If soccer is your game then enjoy, watch and follow you League with passion. But give other sports their due.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring up issues such as hooliganism in explaining 'why rugby is more of a real sport'. As rach said, curious indeed.

I'm not very interested in rugby - it is soo boring to watch in my opinion - but I've got no problems with it, and if people love it then that's just great.

Anyway, off to the footie threads \:\)

wave.gif

What I find curious is Soccer fans get on the defensive incredibly quickly when they feel someone is criticising their sport. My initial statement has been taken out of context. It was a ovrzealous remark to express my enthusiasm for an exciting tournament.

If I watched a Serie A game from Italy then watched say Liverpool play Man U in a top of the table clash I would say "time to watch a 'real' game now. etc etc etc.

I think rugby is more exciting hence the statement. I also like a dozen more sports more than soccer. Basketball, Volleyball, American Football, Tennis, Baseball, Cricket to name a few.But each to his own.

Besides back to the action, or lack of it last night, pretty wet conditions in Oz,

Ireland must be pretty safe for a semi spot now after another convincing win

Quote:
What I find curious is Soccer fans get on the defensive incredibly quickly when they feel someone is criticising their sport.
Funny you should say that - I think exactly the same of rugby fans, but declined from saying that......

Anyway - me, defensive of footie? There's really no need to be....

But enough of this, sorry, it's another matter. I'll make way for ruggers talk ;\) Enjoy!!
 Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
I'm not very interested in rugby - it is soo boring to watch in my opinion
ah well thats because your from England and your country is notorious for playing boring rugby, you can be excused ;\)

If you want lots of 'goals', watch basketball. The reason people get excited by goals in football is because of the difficulty of the play leading up to them, and the fact that there's a goalkeeper there specifically to prevent them.

"Football should not have goalkeepers so more goals can be scored, and the net should be made wider." It's always colonials who say crap like this...

And like there's no hooliganism in rugby... Many university rugby teams are no better than violent gangs. I have scars on my face to prove it.

And i have scars on my face from playing cricket. Doesn't mean the other team took to me with the stumps, its just a product of being a bit slow with the hook shot.

NZ look very cohesive at the moment. Most in form team from what i've seen. The wallabies are making progress but i fear we just can't fix all our problems in time for the finals - there are just too many of them.

Very much looking forward to the Japan v America game. Go you good Cherry Blossoms!