UK = England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland

Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales.

England = England

I know this for a fact, I have been teaching this a lot recently from official embassy resources.

Hello Nori chan.

1. England is one country on an Island (called Britain), that has 2 other countries, Scotland and Wales.

Those 3 countries form a union called "Great Britain".

England and Wales joined in 1294 and Scotland in 1707.

This was called "Great Britain"

Now here is the tricky part. Ireland is an Island beside "Great Britain". Ireland joined the other 3 in 1801, and they called the new group the

"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" Some Irish didnt want to be with "Great Britain" and in 1921 they split Ireland; six northern Irish counties remained part of the United Kingdom as Northern Ireland and the new name is

"the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland",

The United Kingdom" is the short name, but many used the original name of "Britain" or "Great Britain"

The UK also includes a few small places around the world that used to be colonies , territories of the UK which used to be the most powerful union on Earth and controlled a lot of the world. these are

Anguilla, Bermuda, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, Montserrat, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands. These are dependencies of the UK.

Hong Kong used to be part of the UK but the UK gave it back to China in 1997.

So itsa long story witha lot of History! :p

Quote:
Originally posted by nori-chan:
So, like, how come so many thing like this?

Which is イギリス?

Thanks!
England = イギリズ
Wales = ウィールズ
Scotland = スコットランド
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Anyone help me, too?

Why Prince or Princess of Wales?
Why Scotland Yard?
Scotland Yard is just a name, the original name of the piece of land the the Police HQ was built on. Nothing to do with Scotland.

The Prince of Wales is nothing really, justa name one of many titles given to royal family members.
Charles is the 21st person to have this title, he has no formal role or duties tied especially to this title. Its up to him to do what he wants!
 Quote:
Originally posted by nori-chan:
But I thought that UK = イギリス

Still a little confused. wakaranai.gif
I looked in a Japanese dictionary and it said Britain = イギリズ 英吉利 = England = Great Britain = United Kingdom.
To Japanese its all the same it seems

Kamo I like the way you've used "joined" as if we had any choice in the matter!!!! (we meaning Scotland, Wales and Ireland)

The English were a bunch of blood thirsty, arrogant imperialists, who cared for little else apart from the acquisition of other peoples land and titles. They killed, imprisoned the Kings and Queens of Ireland, Wales and Scotland and gave titles such as "Prince of Wales" to there sons and daughters to rule over.

The Irish used what would now be called terrorism to split from UK at a time when the UK was weakened from World War I. But the Province of Ulster, where many protestants from Scottish heritage lived, didn't.

However, this is all water under the bridge as they say.

Nori-chan, Wales and Scotland still have their own languages, called Welsh and Gaelic.

Scotland, Nothern Ireland and Wales each have their own governments with varying degrees of power and autonomy.

Hehe it seems I have been in Japan too long and I have a developed a `rose tinted glass` perspective of history :rolleyes:

I did make it rather non chalant sounding didnt I?

I am going to start writing Japanese history textbooks!

> The Prince of Wales is nothing really, justa name one of many titles given to royal family members.

kamoshika, just when you were doing so well with the explanations!

Having been 'joined' to Great Britain, the Welsh were not very happy. So one of the Kings (I forget which) sought to pacify the peevish Welsh by 'giving' Wales his firstborn son. This was just a symbolic act, and the boy didn't actually have to live in Wales or anything. Since then, first born sons of English royalty have been 'the Prince of Wales'. And the Welsh still complain.

nori-chan, there's no point in asking English people to explain what Japanese people mean by what they say! We can't be held responsible for katakana English...

By the way, kamoshika didn't make this clear in his otherwise excellent overview, but did you know that the USA is the 87th county of Great Britain?

I'm saying, Igirisu = UK !! Japanese people don't care England, Wales... like this.

If you say 'I'm Welsh'. Japanese people say 'Ah, you are Igirisu-jin'.

nori-chan, you can't ask about Katakana English here like Ocean said.

Now I understand Scotland Yard and Prince of...

Thanks \:\)

Kamoshika and Ocean - well done!

By the by, the formal title of the Queen is 'Our Gracious Sovereign Lady Elizabeth the Second by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain Northern Ireland and Her other Realms Territories Queen Head of Commonwealth Defender of the Faith'

> I'm saying, Igirisu = UK !! Japanese people don't care England, Wales... like this.

If you say 'I'm Welsh'. Japanese people say 'Ah, you are Igirisu-jin'.

slow, that's actually very close to the attitude of many English people too. And boy does it annoy the Scots and the Welsh...

For an entertaining look at some of the issues between the Welsh and the English, I recommend watching the film called "Wales Yama" in Japanese, with Hugh Grant.

Not many. Many of my friends would call the Scottish "English" and the Welsh "English". When they mean British. Or UKean. Or something.