I did a bit of poetry at school as well. I think everyone must have. I did enjoy some of the poems that we studied but for the most part I didn't enjoy it that much. Although I always got an odd sense of satisfaction in exams when there was a poetry essay question that I knew I had nailed.

Other than that I don't really see the point of it either.

I really like poetry. There...i'm out of the closet.

I used to write quite a bit when i was younger but haven't done much for a while. I never really liked the material we studied at school simply because i didn't find it entertaining.

I like poetry that tells a story and entertains the reader. The great Australian bush poets are the bees knees as far as i'm concerned. Unfortunately, not many people consider this type of poetry to be "good" from an academic perspective and hence you don't get a chance to study it at school. Shame really.

Quote:
Originally posted by 97:
Why don't they just say what they want to say! :p
they do young fella, they do. You have to interpret and use your imagination. Imagination is something seriously lacking everywhere these days.
Playstations and braindead TV shows require no imagination they require stale stagnant minds to to entrance like a moth to a bright light.

Poetry forces you to think.

Try reading poetry written by Wilfred Owen, a young soldier in World War One. He tragically and profoundly described the indescribable, the horrors of trench warfare. Here is one of his poems that is amazingly descriptive.
Try and understand that poem young master 97. Can you understand it? Considering you are 13 and hate poetry I guess not. Thats why your teachers are teaching you this stuff, to increase your intellectual thinking, create a critical thinker, allow you to appreciate fine work.

Anthem for Doomed Youth

"What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
-Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells;
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,-
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

What candles may be held to speed them all?
Not in the hands of boys but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmers of good-byes.
The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds."

97, post your poetry homework here and I'll do it for you. I have a degree in Eng Lit, so I might be able to do a tolerably good job of it.

Remember that if you listen to pop music, you're listening to popular poetry of one sort. Do you not enjoy the lyrics of songs? Just because Van Morrison or Snoop Dogge are excluded from the canon of 'English Literature' doesn't mean their poetry is any less powerful than that of say, Dylan Thomas.

Also, seeing as you have to study it anyway and might as well enjoy it if you can, I recommend shutting yourself in a room and reading it out loud in as theatrical voice as pleases you. It can help you to 'get it', and if you don't, you can score extra marks for noting that the poem 'reads poorly'.