Just wondering if anyone here has done or knows someone who has completed (or tried to complete) an MBA online. Ive sent away to a couple of very big American colleges for information on their programmes and i'm now receiving the follow-up phone calls on a weekly basis. The course content looks pretty good and the flexibility of doing things online appears attractive - i'm just wondering if it all works out that way once you get started.

Does anyone have any feedback?

well...not an MBA...

but I just started taking an online class from the University of Washington to get a head start on my graduate studies (engineering)...you can get a masters degree through this program online...

It is interesting...they basically video tape the lectures that are happening on campus...I can watch them live (webcast) or download...homeworks and notes are distributed via email. I fax my completed homeworks back...

Major downside is not being able to interact directly with the prof. and students...suprisingly, watching lectures on the computer is not as bad as I thought...and if I get bored, I can just switch it off...

Its not cheap...but it can be cheaper than enrolling full-time...

hope that helps...

danz

i'm also doing online stuff (not MBA)...

its convenient, and it will get you your piece of papaer, but like danz says, it wont help u meet people or bounce ideas around.

i too am doing it before heading into higher level post grad stuff. i wouldnt let it be my final stop, because it is somewhat unrewarding academically.

but if u got the time and money - its definitely a way of moving forwards.

Good to see you danz, where you been? Busy busy?

I am trying to learn Japanese in a very uncoordinated fashion, thats about it.

Great feedback, thanks Danz.

The MBA course i was looking at was at Cardean and one of the big selling points they emphasise is the interaction with lecturers and other students. The only real downside i can see is the opportunity to have open discussion with other students is somewhat limited. Discussing mgnt theories via email or forum boards could get a tad tedious.

Does anyone know if any Aust. Unis offer these courses online. I guess i'll have to go back to the internet and do a bit more research.

hey zook...did you get my private reply??

thanks for caring rach...well, i finally finished a bit of a career change...now I am teaching english in tokyo...original, hah...

I found that I posted much more on sj when I was procrastinating and putting off work in my last job...now, well, there isnt much I am trying to avoid...pretty low stress job if you ask me...

cheers...

danz

Not an MBA but I'm doing an E commerce diploma which has an MBA type focus. I work with someone who's doing it online and she says it's good. I'd imagine the self motivation aspect is very hard, plus I thought half the point of doing an MBA was the networking-pretty difficult online I think.

Antonio I don't know which uni she's doing it through-as for Aust Uni's I think the University of Queensland has an extensive online programme.

Cheers Davo, i'll check it out. Thanks to the others for comments as well.

Interesting that you should raise the issue of motiviation. I've never been the most motivated student, even when i was physically at Uni, so you've now got me wondering whether or not i'd struggle even more with an on-line course (my short attention span when studying Japanese is another good example). I think i'll ponder that over a beer while i watch the rugby tonight!

• 2 weeks later...