Eigo Outlook 2003 on Japanese PC??

amazon.co.jp are selling the english version of the new outlook 2003 software (out later this month). The big question for me - can anyone help? - is.

Can I install that on my Japanese PC, with Japanese Windows XP as the OS - and will it work all ok?

I want all the menus to be in English (so I can use it and understand it to the full), but lots of my emails and contacts are in Japanese and I work in Japanese a lot - so I want to be able to use Japanese in it all within the English version.

Is that no problem?

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

2nd question:

I currently have Office 2000 Japanese version on my Japanese PC.

Can I upgrade to Office 2003 ENGLISH upgrade version without a problem or do I have to stick to a Japanese version if I am going the upgrade route?

Thanks for the help!

I can't answer your question specifically, but I can get reasonably close. I have English Office XP on Japanese Windows XP, and while all the menus are in English, it displays Japanese without any problems in all elements including Outlook. So I reckon you should be OK.

As for upgrading between languages, I dunno.

I had problems trying to upgrade between languages a few years back (I think it was with Office 2000). Not sure what the problem was but I ended up needing to take all the software off my machine and re-install a full version. It was a bit of a mess (but my PC was back then generally anyway).

I'd be interested to know how things are now with that anyway.

Am I right in thinking that an upgrade package is actually the whole new application (ie the same as the more expensive full version) - but it has some kind of codes or something that only let you install it on a machine with a previous version on (or whatever spec "required" for the upgrade)?

I can't say I know, but I think if you uninstall the old version, and install the upgrade (which is actually a full version), you'll be asked to put the CD of the old version in the drive to prove you have one. This is what I have been told by a somewhat flaky sysadmin.

But whichever way you look at it, Kazaa is your friend in this sort of situation ;\)

Yes. And I was quite surprised to find that when I uninstalled Office 2000, all my settings and dictionary entries remained intact and carried over to Office XP so I didn't have to learn my computer to say 'bollocks' all over again.

Got the 2003 edition on my PC now. Outlook looks different and quite a lot better - although I will need much more time to get to know it all. Installed no problem.

I got the new Outlook too. While it does seem better laid out and everything I don't see it as a huge improvement. Perhaps I just haven't found out all the sexy bits yet........