OK so what is so bad about Hotmail - compared to other free online mail. There seems to be a lot of talk against it, I'm wondering what amazing things await me if I change over to Yahoo or something else....

Thanks

I have two web based email accounts. One Yahoo and one Hotmail. My Hotmail account gets around 50 pieces of junkmail a day where as I get none at all at my Yahoo account. None at all. It is an Aussie account though so that may help the lack of junk.

Yahoo also has more storage space than Hotmail. Hotmail has 2mb and Yahoo has 6 or 8mb - I can't remember which.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
Yahoo also has more storage space than Hotmail. Hotmail has 2mb and Yahoo has 6 or 8mb - I can't remember which.
Yahoo used to be 6 but now newbies get only 4

Junk mail mostly depends on where you have used your email address in the past. If spammers can trawl them from internet surveys, mailing lists etc then you can sure dollars to donuts they will get it somehow. If you give it out you never know who will catch it.

Accounts I give only to friends have no spam, but those I give out on websites as part of required fields, eg that free Helly Hanson video, get a lot of spam.

Hotmail is no worse than yahoo or any other free site email or your regular isp email account.

If you give out to websites you will invariably get spammed in the end.

Keep one account that you give on the websites etc and keep it only for those required situations, it will get spammed, but your private email addresses wont.

Quote:
Originally posted by dancing_barefoot:
Although there is some truth to that, it is not always the case. And far from all websites give out your mail address to other people or have them where bad bad spammers can get at them.
Yes the worst case is those fowarded fowarded fowarded email chain letters, or jokes, that people send. they always send it to 2 dozen people who foward it to another two dozen people. Eventually the body of the message has hundreds of email addreses in it. Morons! 447.gif
Spammers can catch those emails, randomly intercept them, also one of those hundred may be a spammer themselves! those guys trade addresses with eachother! they have a cd rom with thousands of live addresses that they sell to new spammers.
Utter stupidity on the behalf of those who do that (send fowarded emails), YOU are to blame for the spam.
If you must send on those emails, delete the body of the message that has all the email addresses.
Also dont put everybodies email address in the "to" or "cc" field use "bcc" blind carbon copy. Where all the recipients addresses are hidden and not accessible. So the receiver cant see who all the other recipients are.

Smart and sensible email ettiquete must be established. Especially among the not so technically proficient members of the web community. I always give my friends a blast who lazily foward jokes without making the mail "safe"

i like how yahoo shows when you've replied to a message. sometimes i forget with hotmail. and you get more mbs with yahoo, though the yahoo.ca and yahoo.co.uk varieties give you 6mb, while yahoo.com gives you 4. whys that?

POP3 with VERY lame web browser access for roaming.

I never really got into the hotmail/yahoo email thing. However, now that I found out that you can access your Yahoo account via Outlook Express, I may set up a yahoo email addy.

you can only use pop3 for free with a yahoo.co.uk account. you cannot use pop3 for free with a yahoo.com email account. you also get more space with the UK account.

therefore, if you sign up with yahoo, make sure you do it from yahoo.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had my hotmail addie since 1998 and its pretty basic yo, can ya guess? I started getting a bunch of spam a couple of years ago but didnt want to change the address, just for convenience so set up filters for words like P E N I S and debt and enlargement etc and now I get pretty much no junk except for a few in my junkmail folder. Lucky perhaps?