So, how has your ogiginal home-town accent held up being in Japan? I never had a really strong scouse accent, but people can still tell I'm from the Liverpool area - although it seems to have been watered down quite a bit by being here.

having lived in singapore for 6 years going to a british school and originally being half australian half canadian, my accent is fairly messed up. people here in toronto think its very australian, but when im in australia people think its really british.

i think im going to lose my accent pretty soon living over here. people have already been telling me that im losing it.

ILiveToSki! Are you sure? Just want to get more confused. I can't really tell them apart - apart from the really strong Osaka ones or Okinawa. I suppose I haven't been in inaka enough to hear it.

I think Australians sound like mosquitos when they talk, viz:

Maaaaaate, comin down the pub to have a beer mate? Two scooies of VB thanks mate. No worries mate. See ya later mate. Yeah right thanks mate.

What is a scouse any way? How is it pronounced? Does it rhyme with louse?

I had a beauty yorkshire one when i first came but found out that no one understood what the hell i was talking about. i had to adapt mine to the needs of my american friends! its kind of a shame really.

people still me that ive still got it but i dont rekon so! " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> mi mates back home always have a bit of a laugh when i call em up, telling me ive turned american.

ah, the horror!!! mad.gif

Mine has turned switchable. When talking to Japanese workmates I talk slowly and delibrately losing most if not all of my aussie accent. When I talk to mates it's full on Oz accent all the way mate. I have an aussie guy at work and when we are all discussing things in slow english I am understood perfectly till I turn to the aussie and start the accent (still speaking slowly), then warkarimasen? Cracks us up!

And db, there is a touch of mozzie about the way you talk mate, now you menion it!

Where the aeroguard? db's coming round .

Bowler you reckon my accent is a toughie but you are waaaaaay harder to understand. Except now I keep saying "aye" like you. Oh no.

Since Ive been back in NZ I have reverted to my old ways somewhat but people still tell me I have an odd accent. Perhaps I just pronounce things a little more clearly than I used to and dont use the common greeting of "heymatehowsitgoingyeahgood"

yeah zwelgie- your accent isnt too hard to understand... well most of the time. mine's a bit messed up i think. it should be a southern drawl like my parents, but its way more valleygirlish. but sometimes when i meet other gaijin they think i'm british wakaranai.gif v strange and its happened more than once.