That article is funny.

We had huge monopoly sessions at university. It got quite serious and I would always crack the shits and storm off.

Snakes and Ladders was manipulated into a drinking game as well.

One of the beauties of chess is that it has a code notation that describes the moves (this notation predates computers as far as I know). There are chess programs that undertand the notation and so with cut and paste you can play games of chess over the Internet with people you haven't even met.

introd2.gif

Imagine the excitement and trepidation of waiting for and then opening the email with what might be your opponent's last move...

I like chess a lot but its so intense, that I dont really consider it a game.

for me, the ultimate game is...

BACKGAMMON

This game rules! Its a nice balance of skill and chance and calculation, which still allows you to chat and chill out while you play. In fact if anyone wants to play online give me a buzz via my profile.

Another great game:

POKER

This game is also totally amazing, but its hard to find people who want to play it. Also, its can get a bit serious cos of the gambling aspect.

Backgammon is a game for accountants. People with accountancy in their past love it. The only thing that counts in backgammon is prudence.

And what fun is that??

Definitely a sub-chess board game that.

BG allows one to employ probabilities in very interesting manners. It should not be discounted. Inferior to chess it may be, but it is a unique game that stand up quite well in its own right.

Besides, it can be a very relaxing lounge game and serves as an excellent exercise in theories of randomness.

i love backgammon, but like many other games it loses its appeal unless something is riding on the outcome. there's nothing like a small wager (even drinks or icecreams) to make something that is fairly repetitive quite interesting