When do the crowds really kick in? Over Dec 24, 25, 26 or after NYE?

I have managed to get the 3 key xmas days off work this year and thought I would go to the mtns for xmas. This will of course be an incalculable improvement on last years xmas period which was spent in a very empty office and Tokyo on my own.

last year when i was out the few days before and after xmas, the slopes were empty. at first the snow was crap, but it started dumping on the 24th i believe and we got pow for boxing day. work holiday doesnt start til the 27th, so thats when it'll probably get busy.

There will be no one on the slopes around then.

On analysis of the last 3 seasons

2000 - dumped about 1.5m (at my house so approx 2x more on the slopes) on Christmas day and coverd the car so that there was not one single bit showing.

2001 - Boxing day evening the dump arrived and just kept coming until about the 17th Jan

2002 - Christmas evening it started and didnt end until well into Jan

so by my (crude) analysis you should be sweet. Be paitent my son

and personally I dont think there are THAT many people on slopes at NYrs. I think a feb weekend is much much worse

What a shame you still dont have that place in Nozawa!

My life has actually turned around a little with the discovery that tuesday 23 dec is also a public hol.

Pitty I cant get the monday off.

ps - for any one that cares, when I go away it costs more to board my dog in Tokyo than to board myself in the mountains!!

db: We may be heading away ourselves at that time, but we won't pull the trigger until mid-December. If we end up being stuck in Tokyo, we'd be willing to take in your homeless pooch at no cost. Touch base with me in mid-December.

Of course, he would have to deal with the bitch that shares our place with us...

I ate gyoza for my very quick dinner on the way home last night. Quickest 3 beers and gyoza I have ever consumed.

Goemon: thks for the offer. Very cool. No comment on that bitch you live with though. ;\)

db: Lloyd would be more welcome than those two smelly, flea-infested mongrels we had at our place recently; I'm sure you'll agree since you experienced it yourself last night. ;\)

"Gyoza" are sometimes called Chinese dumplings in other parts of the world:

s-gyouza.jpg