There isn't much cause for rejoicing about Japanese beer.

The substance itself is distinctly inferior. In some bars and restaurants where you get bottled beer, you do indeed get mouthwash sized glasses. Bloody stupid it is.

With draught beer you get a heavy glass mug of which up to a quarter might be foam (for Japanese, foam = pleasure, heartiness, satisfaction. Apparently). These mugs are heavier than they need to be IMHO.

There are some English style pubs around, notably the Pig & Whistle chain, where you can get Japanese beer in sleevers. It offers all the joy of drinking a pint of bad lager in Britain.

I'd bring your own if I were you...

I keep a dai-jokki in my freezer. It gets really cold...when I fill it with lager from a bottle in the fridge, small ice needles form in the beer and it is oh-so-delicious!

Great on a hot summer day.

Mind you, good-tasting beer doesn't need to be that cold. If it is, then you can't taste it properly.

As for the mouthwash glasses, we picked up some Kolsch beer glasses the other day that are eggshell thin and like very tall shot glasses. They make all kinds of things taste better.

Seems the glass really does make a difference for some beverages.

Hey Ocean, any good beers on tap or in bottles in your new digs?

\:\)

I haven't sniffed out any good 'uns yet, but I haven't had much time for that.

Being closer to Kyushu now, I notice there's more brands of shochu available.

I'll let you know when I do. Oh, wait a minute, Suntory Malts have brought out a new dark beer which is quite nice. It can give some of the vastly overpriced jibiru a run for their money.