theres only one school in my area that was "play clothes" or "no - uniform" i never wanted to go there... i liked uniform there was no hasseling or teasing cause everyone wore the same old ugly uniform.... but i doubt any schools in the states wear uniform??

At my school, you had to wear uniform until the last two years. Then you could wear what you wanted. Now they have no uniform at all apart from a cool badge with a chess piece emblem.

That old excuse about 'everybody looking the same and therefore being immune to nastiness' is so much shite. It's a pathetic excuse for a crass attempt to impose uniformity where absolutely none is required. At my school, even with our uniforms, we knew who was rich and who was poor, and mocked as the mood took us. We could also plainly see who looked good in any clothes.

Just last night before I went to sleep I remembered the horror of having to get into a black polyester suit, and purple and green tie in the middle of summer.

I disagree with you there.

I think it is not a bad thing.

While many wise people still might KNOW who is "rich" or "poor" or whatever, thats not the only issue. It takes a whole load of pressure off families who just can't afford to have tons of great clothes.

It also stops school from becoming a fashion show.

You obviously have just never been on the end of that kind of hassle before.

lol.gif

Given the freedom, I wore the same few things all the time until they were ragged, as I still do. Being strictly middle class, we could and can afford much more. And you think school uniforms are cheap?

The rich can still find ways to turn school into a 'fashion show' if they want to. My wealthy gf was very imaginative in how she broke the rules to show off her new things. Breaking the rules is the essence of school uniforms (unlike say, army uniforms).

And before you start saying things like 'You obviously have just...', I suggest you get to know me a little better. :p

go the school uniform.

I've always attended public schools with no uniform...and it always pissed me off that people were judged on their daddy's credit rating rather than their subsance.

plus...they just look cute....

ethan hawk in a school uniform...ooohhh!

> it always pissed me off that people were judged on their daddy's credit rating rather than their subsance.

Isn't that a bit shallow? Judge 'people' right back. You have to live with that once you get out of school anyway. Why not learn to deal with it when you're there? At least you won't have to deal with polyester.

Less wealthy people are just as likely to throw their money away on brand clothes that cost as much or more than uniforms anyway. I have seen plenty of that first hand.

If I had to buy uniforms, it would cost far more to clothe my boy than it does now. And would he be cleaner or more comfortable in a uniform? I don't think so...

I had to waer a uniform all my school years and it wasn't too bad. just slap on my shirts and shirt and sandals in summer and i was off. Winter was more of a hassle though. Blazer tie , typical catholic private school attire. Easy thing was that I could get up an know what I had to wear, without having to decide.

AND IF IT WASN'T FOR THE LUVLY JAPANESE SCHOOL GIRLS UNIFORM I DOUBT THAT I'D STILL BE HERE ;\)

private school in sydney we had the full on winter and summer uniform. full pleated skirt, stockings, blouse, blazer and a hat!! i just took this picture off the website:

gate.jpg

terrible uniform and very very expensive.

at school in singapore we just had a white polo shirt and choice of black skirt or trousers. it wasnt at all bad and was very comfortable.

ive been in uniform my entire life up until university (now) and i found it was alot more convienient in uniform.

my private school in the us didn't have uniforms, but we had a dress code. no jeans, shorts, or t shirts/sweatshirts. guys had to have dress shirts tucked in, wear ties, hair above the collar, and no facial hair. and the girls had a limit on skirt length or could wear pants. but you could always get around stuff like wearing colored jeans when that was the fashion in the early 90s or cords. or if you were a good student (like me ;\) ) you could break the dress code and wear short skirts. unnatural hair colors and piercings were always a big controversy. during hockey season, we would wear our kilts on game days (a coupla times a week) and it was fun wearing a uniform and not thinking about what to wear.

Oh for god's sakes!

Thinking what to wear - oh the hardship! The difficulty! The agony!

Just because you have the freedom to choose doesn't mean you have to wear something completely different every day. It means you can wear something clean and comfortable if you want to.

If ever it comes to an actual debate that involves my son wearing uniform, I will find it very hard not stand up and strangle those parents who will inevitably sit there saying "I think uniforms are a good thing" with no justification whatsoever. I will garrotte them with a purple and green nylon tie.