Best Live concert experience?

Going to Timo Maas on Friday here in Tokyo and it got me thinking "What has been my best concert experience?"

One of them has to be the Big Day Out 93 (or was it 92) in Sydney, in particular the Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden. It was at the height of both bands before they turned crappy (or insane in the case of billy corgan). Everything was right, the weather, the company, the consumed sustances, adding up to a magic day.

Another was the The Chemical Brothers, live set, Melbourne 2001, surrounded by scantily clad babes. Also the beastie boys gig in little Hobart, Tasmania was amazing as well. They came especially to Tas due to a petition signed by thousands of tassie fans. Very nice!

So many good concerts in my life, it's hard to choose.

Please tell me your best of the best!

Squeeze at Manchester Uni Union. Jools Holland stole the show with his 'mighty organ' and I and my girl danced our dungarees off.

We got so zonked on Becks and dancing we couldn't find our way home afterwards and had to stop passing taxis to ask them where we were.

I don't even think I liked Squeeze before I went, and I don't much now either. But what a performance...

Going back quite a bit now, but Depeche Mode at the Rose Bowl with about 70000 others.

The film's just been released on DVD for the first time and it brought it all back when I watched it again.

I was really into the music in a big way, was a fantastic night all round, video cameras recording it everywhere --- and I'm on the video (and now DVD!) for about 3 seconds for posperity!! \:D

way too difficult to answer dims, sorry mate.

that `pumpkins`, `soundgarden` BDO was pretty special though. but all those Big Day Outs have now somehow managed to `meld` into one and i can`t recall what year who played???

one pretty memorable moment for me was tha year(?) `prodigy` played. it was just on sun-down, so the lights were in full effect. tha sky directly behind the stage was a vivid reddy/oranggy colour from a legendary ozzy summer sun set, and the band had just started their intro. for `fire starter`.

off to the side of tha stage was tha biggest half-pipe i`ve ever seen. and who was in it? gettin sooo far out of it? none other than THE tony hawk. truly a memorable experience.

Thanks guys (where to start)

Ocean, it's amazing how you can go see a band and be so impressed live, then listen to the studio stuff and be so unimpressed. Happened to me many times, I guess some bands now how to turn it on live.

Veronica, I used to love listening to my brothers Depeche Mode "speak and spell" album when I was about ten, along with the whole Devo collection, "I just can't get enough" was a classic.

Powwwwers, I can't believe I forgot that one. Prodigy BDO was also one of the best. Hawk is the master!

And one stage I was addicted to going to live gigs.

Keep em' coming

Ocean, it's amazing how you can go see a band and be so impressed live, then listen to the studio stuff and be so unimpressed. Happened to me many times, I guess some bands now how to turn it on live.

Veronica, I used to love listening to my brothers Depeche Mode "speak and spell" album when I was about ten, along with the whole Devo collection, "I just can't get enough" was a classic.

Powwwwers, I can't believe I forgot that one. Prodigy BDO was also one of the best. Hawk is the master!

Keep em' coming

Keep em' coming

I actually really don't like their first 2 or 3 albums and only got into them around Black Celebration when they started getting much darker and moody and Gore really started being a decent songwriter. Not a Vince Clarke simple electric pop fan at all.

Check me out on the dvd!

i saw liz phair at a pretty cozy venue in philly. was dead center right up against the stage. supercool. all the outdoor trance parties i've been to have been v fun experiences. do these count as live concerts? some people were playing live...

Dims - we might have to have a little discussion about Soundgarden turning to crap... ;\)

So many amazing concerts, but a few that stand out: certianly Soundgarden at the Gorge, the many times I have seen Tool, this years Lollapalooza with Jane's Addiction, Audioslave, Perfect Circle, Incubus, and Jurassic 5 was an amazing show. I think my all time favorite concert was (like ILiveToSki) was NIN and A Perfect Circle on the Fragile tour. If I could go back and relive a concert it would be that one.

buffalo tom at the Cambridge Hotel in Newcastle on my birthday. Crowded House in front of the Opera House with half the population of Sydney - that was a truly frightening experience. You am i at a crowded pub somewhere in Newcastle. Most of my fave memories are of decent bands in intimate venues. I don't consider many of the outdoor/arena concerts i've seen to be that special.

Ender,

yeah that comment was directed a LOT more at the pumpkins as they lost there way big time after Siamese Dream. Soundgargen next album still rocked after that. Jesus Christ pose and outshined live was hard to beat IMHO. I am super envious of you seeing TOOL and a perfect circle. These, as well as the Janes's, are on the top of my "must see before dying" list. Grunge days sure were some good days.

Nice one

Well okay then... I am way jealous of you for seeing Soundgarden on the Badmotorfinger tour. One of the biggest concerts I ever missed was Lollapalooza 2 in 1992. Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog (!!), Chilli Peppers, Ministry, more... Damn.

I'm sure this topic was rasied not too long ago?

Anyway, it's always an interesting one.

I've got heaps of fav's but some of the stands would be Mudvayne at the BDO a couple of years back. Just awesome. Not many people supporting them tere but those that rocked up were really big dedicated fans.

Slayer and Machine Head at the Hordern was crazy. Pretty packed and full on the whole time.

Drowning Pool at the BDO played a really solid set as well and got the crowd nice and involved in it.

Perfect Circle at the Metro was really good. Oh oh and Tool at the Sydney Ent Cent.

Hmmm, I seem to have picked a fair few, I should stop.

Oh, and there was the Frankensteiners at some live house whose name slips my memory now.

The bloke on the harp had to stop after nearly inhaling some of the many pairs of women's knickers that were thrown on stage.

frankensteiners.jpg

That was a night to remember...

i saw death cab for cutie and nada surf not too long ago and it was great.

the foo fighters, smashing pumpkins and a perfect circle sets at summersault 2000 in vancouver were also really good.

and seeing crowded house infront of the opera house with THAT many ppl was just surreal

Would have to say The Pumpkins at the big day out that year too ( by the way it was Jan 94) and that gig also had Def Fx etc etc.

any Pennywise gig too. and early silver chair..

problem with this topic is that as you type the more I can remember...

Pearl Jam 95 or 96 at the Tennis centre in Vic was insane too...

I will stop now!