i just had a long im chat with friends about the metrosexual. its ubiquitous in america. i first read about it on salon in the spring and now its popped up in time magazine in an article about webshopping for xmas. my gay friend feels its the mainstream hijacking gay culture. another thinks its just new term for closeted. i think its purely an american phenomenon, despite david beckham being its posterboy. heard ahhnolds one too, but i dont think so- hes too misogynist. my definition is a guy who has gay qualities- lots female friends, dresses smart, cooks good, is neat- but def likes the ladies. what are yalls thoughts on the metrosexual revolution?

Quote:
Originally posted by nekobi:
my definition is a guy who has gay qualities- lots female friends, dresses smart, cooks good, is neat- but def likes the ladies. what are yalls thoughts on the metrosexual revolution?
What a load of pop-culture trash. There are, and always have been plenty of heterosexuals with the above traits, and plenty of gay men without them.

Once, going out with three friends, who happen to be gay, the conversation turned to the 'gay men have better fashion sense' topic. The only man not dressed by Eddie bauer et al. was yours truely, the conversation quickly degenerated into embarassed silence. They couldn't cook, either.

Meterosexual-where do they come up with this bollox... as for 'gay traits' there is only one... er... they like to sleep w/ men not women.

yeah this has been one of the more irritating things to pop up recently. One of the things I liked about living in Japan, is I never had to hear about these phony media constructed groups of people. I'm sure Japan has them, I just don't understand the language well enough.

The word "metrosexual" comes to us courtesy of British author Mark Simpson. It is purely ridiculous, as dressing well, etc. does not, a new form of sexuality, give rise to, even if you are in love with yourself. The term/concept has been heavily adapted by the media, in an effort to sell expensive clothing, accessories, and hair products to otherwise oblivious straight men.

Thank God straight men are still oblivious despite all the hype. These people simply don't exist, at least not anywhere I have seen. I guess I have seen a few people wearing nicer shoes lately, but it hardly seems worthy of the attention.

Why anyone who is not selling expensive clothing, accessories, or hair products would see a benefit to wussifying an entire generation of men, or what that benefit might be, is totally beyond me.

Oh yeah Ocean, the straight guy's girlfriends just looove it, that is I'm sure, until her man starts taking longer to get ready than she does, and starts asking if his pants make his ass look big.

That's one case. The other being that the guy keeps up this image half-assedly for 3 months, until that expensive, yet somehow shoddily made and quick to go out of fashion wardrobe wears out, then it's back to reality.