Did you know that Bush is coming to Britain

To day [sunday} in a straw poll phone in on TV. 70% think it is a bad idea. There is going to be a large demonstration. Some people have built an effigy of him and are going to pull it down in the same way as the statue of Sadam was pulled down in Bagdad.

Bush said that he wanted to meet the families of the people who got killed. But a number of them say that they do not want to meet him.

I think he must be one of most unpopular Presidents that has ever come to the UK.

Well Pedro, let me explain it you.

Scumbag politicians in the UK ask rhetorically, "Why do the citizens of the UK protest against Mr. Bush and not Saddam, who is much, much worse?"

And the answer is, because Bush is the head of a democracy, and as such is subject to public opinion in a way that Saddam wasn't. Also the people who have chosen Bush are a sovereign people, unlike the Iraqis under Saddam, and can know that some proportion of another sovereign people do not agree with their choices. This is quite a significant matter.

In France, where the government seems to represent its people, the government does not support Bush. The people protesting in the UK no doubt hope that they will one day have a government that represents their views.

Of course, if you are talking only about yourself, then nothing has apparently changed. But one day, America will no longer be in the position that it is now. You can bet on that.

Thank you, Ocean. Very well said.

And as it turns out, I am a betting man. If you could just be bothered for a few more seconds to explain the position that America undoubtedly will be in one day so as to provide me with a betting advantage I would be very greatful. \:D

Quote:

So the effigy is down and the demonstrators have demonstrated. The evil empire is still evil. Huh, the world doesn't feel much different to me. So what was the point of all that?
Possibly one of the most short sighted and fundementally naive posts I have EVER read. What is the point in protest:

It does change things. For example the Suffrogetes(sp), Emily Pankhurst, equality in the USA UK etc, Vietnam blah blah blah.

It is fun.

It is your right as a citizen of a democratic nation, though sometimes this is blurred.

But hay you could just go with the flow and maintain the status quo........ lol.gif

Isn't this the same Pedro who suggested recently we should now go in and clean up the mess America and the willing partners have created? lol.gif

I don't have a crystal ball but is there any doubt which direction Bush's middle-east policy is heading? That should provide a clear betting advantage, one would think. lol.gif

If you don't care about who other people think, other people would not care about you too. We have words for that: selfish, insensitive, inconsiderate and NAIVE.