You know that phrase "otsukaresama desu". You say it when someone has done some "good work" or going home before you, right?! (Like thats gonna happen lol.gif ).

But what if they do crap work and your fed up with them. Is it still the thing to come up with the kimarimonku or is there an alternative?

(Keeping in mind we want to stay relatively polite).

isn't it a cousin of the phrase (excuse spelling) "osakini shitsuleishimasu" and also "gochisosama deshita".

The people at work tried to program my brain with these phrases within a week of my arrival. In my usual dont-make-many-freinds-this-way manner, I refused to say it until someone could expain to me what it meant. Of course I was good humoured about it.

green, otsukaresan sounds more bossy.

I always say "gochisosama deshita" before leaving the restaurant. Even if the food wasn't so good, I have to say this thankfully to the people cooked or served the meal for us. This makes you more friendly, I think.

Slo is correct. There are some Japanese people who think that you don't have to say that because you are paying for the meal but I like to do that as a gesture of appreciation even if the cooking was at best so-so.

My understanding is that is means something like "I am grateful for what I am about to consume".

In Hong Kong, because we start the meal it is polite to say: "Hey, everyone, I eat rice", meaning "I am going to start my meal, cheers".