OK we all know there are tons of drink vending machines all over the place here. Sometimes 10 in a row, all selling (almost) the same. But does anyone know just WHY there are so many of the things? It just seems so illogical.

I want a FOOD vending machines! one with Chocolate bars and snacks in them! that would be better, esp where there is no Conbeni around. BUT in Japan its not accepted to eat in public where there is no designated place to eat. Hence you rarely see people walking along the street eating. The Yocals who live near me give me filthy looks when I walk along the street or ride my bike, while munching on a sandwich, or peice of toast (late for the train ;\) )

Quote:
Originally posted by kamoshika:
...in Japan its not accepted to eat in public where there is no designated place to eat.
well the, that certainly would explain the looks I get from people when I walk along eating. I do it very often during work when I feel like a snack and a stroll outside. Also, sometimes I am so hungry after work that I eat a chocolate bar or bag of chips on the train (but only if it is late and there is heaps of room on the train). Now that really gets some looks.

They're very benri though, aren't they? ;\)

Theres one near me that in winter sells hot sweet bean soup. Yummy. That reminds me, I should go and check it see if they've made the switch yet.

Sorry to be a killjoy - a pox on vending machines. What a bloated extravagance. Sure occasionally convenient, but what a energy devouring monster is the ubiquitous VM. Where else in the world 'cept here would you see a drink machine basking in a 40c+ sun, chilling (successfully I mind you) cola et al, to 4c. Or in sub-zero winter the lonely sentinel, flashing diligently, offering(successfully I mind you) piping hot drinks & goodies. Where? Studies suggest that the energy required (that's polite) by 100's o' 1,000's of VM's in japan would power a city. But hey - BOSS it baby!

VM 'salesmen' are also sometimes yakuza. Like, how about you put a VM on your forecourt? I SAID HOW ABOUT YOU PUT A VM ON YOUR FORECOURT?!

Happened to a student of mine who was a dentist. He got a VM on his forecourt.