Kraftwerk come to Japan to stand in front of their PCs while music plays!!! lol.gif

28/02/2004, Zepp Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

29/02/2004, Zepp Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

02/03/2004, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan

03/03/2004, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan

04/03/2004, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan

I heard about their "performance" at the MTV Europe awards. Apparently, it was basically the 4 of them stood behind a console watching their screens, or something. The shows on MTV this weekend so we can find out then!

saw them here in syd earlier this year. they were pretty boring live - exactly as described above -but i like their stuff & think they are important for the influence they've had on modern music. they are a bit of a museum piece these days. the viuals are kind of interesting, although very minimal. if they bring their robots along, it could be good (apparently the get them out for "we are the robots" but we didnt get that in Aus - the robots were doing another gig themselves, somewhere else...!)

Have you seen them live, BagOfCrisps? I saw them here last year and they were crap. We were cheering them on hard from the beginning outta respect, but after a few minutes they failed to hold anyone's attention.

They just stand, lined up in a row in front of keyboards carefully tapping occassionaly while a rather boring video show goes on behind them. They did not gesture to the crowd at all nor make any sudden movements whatsoever. I suppose that was part of their "act".

Don't get me wrong; I have the upmost respect for Kraftwerk as pioneers, but the live performance was severely lacking in...liveliness.

actually, they do have piano keyboards, & they do play notes as well as tweak the sounds out with effects. they even made some mistakes when they played sydney.

& yes, minimal electronic is what they are all about...you have to put it in an historical persective - these guys were doing this back in the 70's & it was totally cutting edge back then. they are the pioneers of this stuff, & every electronic act since the 80s would list them as a major influence.

i saw some of the euro mtv awards on TV the other night, & kraftwerk had these cool fluro grid suits on, like something out of tron - very cyber!

• 4 months later...

Hats off to Kraftwerk - they da dudes !!! Respect to what they've done for dance music, it's hard to imagine the rave scene without them.

That said, they are a little minimal for my sound, I prefer a more progressive approach with a touch of psychedelica thrown in.... eek.gif

• 1 month later...