Quote:
Originally posted by powwwers:

when you`re in the starting gate your heart will be goin` a 100 miles an hour!!!
Thats ok I am planing to go even faster than that. :p

With what kind of board did you enter powwwwers?
Do they rent the protection equipment or it is for free for the participants?

go speed racer, go speed racer :p

Helmets are mandatory. i don`t know of any organisations who allow riders to enter without one. get yaself into one of ya major sports stores- Victory, Alpen, Xebio... and check out whats on offer. its basically just MotoX gear, yano, dirt bikes an that..

as a minimum, i recommend knee pads and padded shorts esp. somthin with some protection around the hip area.doubt you can rent the gear, "No way Jose" is it free for participants.

my first cuppla races were on a b**ton FL 61- light and fast. My more recent races were on a domestic board which is super fast. materials used were second to none (apparently??). it was designed by the owner of my local board store. he sent the specs to a maker in Akita(?) and they made it according to his specs. company name is Evolution i think confused.gif they are perhaps the closest thing to custom boards ya can get. because he chose the best materials, and only had a limited number made, production costs, read: ticket price was expensive. its 161cms. and ya might wanna angle your bindings a little more forward than what ya normally ride.

hope that helps \:\)

Thanks Powwwers, that was some good info.

I have actually a gyro helmet, some wrist protection/knee pads/padded pants but I was curious if the actually rent it for the people they don’t have.

They also asked for sports insurance in the application form. I don’t have one yet, did you have to subscribe to one before you enter in the past?

I am riding a prior Khyber 160 at the moment, quite wide board with lots of taper.

It is perfect for powder and handles pretty good on the groomers too I still haven’t tried it on a cross course though. I also have a 152 burton indie witch is light and flexible but not as fast as the Khyber and not very stable at high speed.

Currently I have the bindings as back as it can go and had not really any major handling problems on the groomers. Putting them a bit more forward will improve the handling of the board or will give more tail for jump landings?

By the way I have a T-shirt of the Speed Racer anime, (maha gogo) in Jap, maybe I should wear it for the games! :p

you'll need a new board tsondaboy. the khyber is too fat. You need a stiffer board with a superfast base. Also be prepared to have it beaten on as there's a good chance of contact with other boards.

lastly, try to ride with other bx'ers and try to learn the fastest way to enter/exit a turn, do jumps, pump rolls etc

good luck!

No money for a new board this season. It has to be either the 160 khyber or the 152 indie.

At least the base is quite fast and if I wax it with carbor wax I can build up lots of speed. Stiffness could be a problem but I am used to the board by now which conpensates in a way in that mater.

Also if you saw the olympic games, the guys with the carving boards didnt do any better than the rest of the riders with all mountain boards.

all this talk is getting me interested again...

yeah, insurance is also mandatory, so be sure to check that your covered. (think insurance has been done in another thread?) some races i`ve entered were JSA (Japan Snowboard Association) events so i had to join & they offer insurance. kinda funny story, the only time i`ve had to claim insurance in japan for snow related stuff was when i fractured me hip. BUT i didn`t do it in a race. i actually lost in the 1st. round and went straight to the terrain park. landed a jump awkward and hey presto... eek.gif fractured hip.

re board: ya 160 khyber will be fine. it`s yar first race so alls ya wanna do is get a feel for it. try an have some fun and enjoy the experience! bX isn`t everyones cuppa tea... totally agree about tha `carving board` comment. sure they`re faster over tha gates, but on a course there are too many times when you need to `speed check` and thats where directional boards win out. and they`re way more stable on landing

thumbsup.gif

I found the thread about insurance powwwers. thumbsup.gif

I will go buy Ochyanomizu shops later to check what they have.

I think I will wait till next seazon Kumapix befor buying a new board and it will definetly not going to be a Burton board! thumbsdown.gif

I am thinking again something from Prior, maybe the MFR model. \:D

Lately Burton’s quality has gone really bad. Take a look at your burton staff next time, you might notice that it says “made in Taiwan/ Malesia/China e.t.c.” with all the implications this might have… I just had my P1 carbons serviced, for the second time since I bought them, last week. I am not really sure if I wanna invest again 7-8 man and need to service it once a year. Just lost my trust in burton, that’s all.

Plus the fact that burton doesn’t need my money to survive, it has all these kids renewing their staff like crazy every season. I prefer to support smaller companies that still haven’t turned to mass production.

My malolo says 'handcrafted in Canada'...

Well, I'm not going to say that everything Burton makes is perfect, it's like any company - there's good products and there's not-so-well-thought-out products. Sometimes you get something that falls apart the second day.

Anyways, there's no point in arguing about it, if you want to support smaller companies, that's just a good a reason as any.

One good thing about Japan being flooded with Burton is that it gets dirt cheap in the sales

Yes, isn’t that cool. By the way, I never leave my board unlocked even if I just go for a leak…

I don’t say I don’t like my bindings. They are pretty comfy and the cap strap is a great design. But for something that I paid 4 man, I expect better quality. Also, a friend that also has the P1 carbons serviced them at exactly the same part that I had to service mine. I have craked the high pack once and the left front strap torn apart…