Wow, I visited Tokyo on business this past week and for the first time in probably 4 years I went to Roppongi. It used to be that all foreigners knew about Roppongi and usually ended up going there some way or another. I know it's always been a meat market and a cheesy drinking hole but it's gotten worse.

The strip club workers pester you to come into their bar and the 'massage' girls won't leave you alone. It got very tiresome! The bars seem to be cheesier now. It wasn't this bad before, was it? eek.gif

Do people still go here or is Roppongi Hills more the drinking place now?

I just made my first trip ever to Tokyo this past (long) weekend. Went all over the city visiting many attractions and seeing many of the different districts. I really enjoyed most of my time there, but I must concur - ROPPONGI SUCKED BIGTIME! If I ever have to go back there I will make sure to have a cattle prod with me to fight off all of the hawkers and bawkers on the street trying to entice you into their establishments. It got to the point where I was telling them if they touched me they would find themselves flat on their back. I enjoyed all of one place there - Geronimo's was a pretty cool and chilled out place and the people in theree were really friendly and fun. All of the other places gave me a headache.

On my next trip to Tokyo I will be spending most of my time out during the nights in Shibuya. Lot more low-key and the scenery (for a gaijin) is much more interesting.

Overall, great trip to Tokyo for me. No need to ever,ever go back to Roppongi though!

R-Hills is home to the biggest tosser bar in town, but there are a few nice ones there. As for Roppongi itself, I have never liked that place but it is close to some good spots so it is easy to end up in the R vicinity and can be convenient. For the most, I try to avoid it.

If you want nightlife in Shibuya there are plenty for clubs back by Womb, Neo, Club Asia. I am not saying they are all good by any means, but they are back there. I have never walked out of a club/bar in Roppongi and said, damn that was a cool place. Actually, the few times I have said that in Tokyo have all been off the beaten path places. There are a lot of cool places scattered between Ebisu and Shibuya in the Daikanyama/Naka Meguro area.

wakaranai.gif dunno what all tha fuss is about???

tha last time i happened upon `poontown` (da pong), i had a great time!

maybe it was tha company i was with. ;\) we stayed out til first trains and there weren`t any bad things about tha night.

nuff said.

Too right Powwers! A-life is a triple thumbs up from me (I have 3 thumbs). Also close to A-life are a couple of hidden away bars that are damn cool, all withing 5 minutes walk of Nishi Azabu crossing.

Gotta be honest and say that the bars in Rpongi do not do it for me, particularly the well known bars. If they were in Sydney I would never go to them, so sure as hell I try to avoid them here.

Another area with a wealth of hidden bars is the Omote Sando district. Quite a few are just daytime cafes that become bars and have their own dj. I have started to uncover a few of these places recently.