• 1 month later...

So as the Return of the King has now been released what did you think.

I saw it last night and loved it. The big battle was super good and ending similar to the book. A litle beef though was that Aragorn's song at the end was in elvish and translated into Japanese. Not really important at all but annoying a bit.

they still cut out a lot of the end of the story, such as the scouring of the shite where merry and pippin round up all the shirefolk to kick out the rotten men who were abusing them.

However, i found the end of the movie boring so i was glad they left that bit out! lets be real and admit the movie has to end when the ring is destroyed. I guess they needed the bit with the Gods (galadriel, elrond and gandalf, plus the hangers-on like bilbo) going back to the white shores, but it was all a bit drawn out and weepy. obviously that whole end sequence is symbolic of death, but i think it would have been better as a carcrash rather than a coma.

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. It certainly lived up to my expectations as a great movie and a great series.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Sparkle (elsewhere):

I also thought that the series as a whole relied too much on the plot device where odds stack up against the protagonists to a point that it seems theres no hope, then out of nowhere someone or something saves the day...

Agreed

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Sparkle (elsewhere):

(Jackson did a great job) to pull together a legendary story with a huge following, on film, and not have legions of LOTR nerds complaining about how it wasnt "true" to the books

Definitely agreed

Nah I love the story of LOTR, it afterall the No.1 rated novel of all time, great story. But for me I recognise alot of the scenery, I know guys who were crew in the movie etc I feel a little connection to the movie. Also as an aside Peter Jacksons brother was my High School English teacher and he is a spitting image of Peter.

I remember when the 1st installment finished - I was upset that I had to wait a whole year to see the next one. Then after the second one, I was feeling like "what the hell just happened here? Isn't there more to it than this?"...very anti climactic but not leaving me dying to see the next episode.

We saw the last installment last week, like it a lot but left feeling like it dragged on a little at the end - didn't quite understand the need for everything after Aragon said "you bow to no one"...

Since then however, even though I know its nearly 3 1/2 hours long, I want to see it again - particualarly the extended version. I have the first two in my dvd collection, and will add the 3rd the day it comes out on DVD.

Ray, in the book that end section (where they return to the shire) lasts about 1/4 of the whole last book, so actually they under-represented it in the movie. However, it doesnt really work very well in the book either, so I think they did a good job of just paying lip service to it.

In terms of sheer power, the book and movie should have ended with the crowning of Aragorn. However, the whole next bit has a lot of information about the problems with returning home after a long eventful trip away, which a lot of us here in Japan may be able to relate to when we go back home. In my opinion that end bit is more like the beginning of another new story, unwritten like a tease, however this kind of depth is exactly what makes Tolkien's stories so powerful.

Thanks for the explanation Bobby,

Orange - I got the 2 disc collectors edition for each movie. I haven't looked at the second disc of either one yet though - waiting for the 3rd one to come out then I'll look at all the stuff on the extra discs.

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetaz:
Get over it you non-believers!!!

11 Oscars speak VERY LOUDLY for themselves!

clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
three cheers for peter jackson!
yes precious the big fat hobbit got his precious, he got 2 preciouses in fact, but where is smeagols precious? I made that movie it was me!

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the Preciousss. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, falssse!

No! No! Master!

Yess. Preciousss first. They will cheat you, hurt you, lie!

Master's my friend.

You don't have any friends. Nobody likes you.

Not listening. Not listening.

You?re a liar, and a thief.

No.

Murderer!

Go away.

Go away?! Ahahhaa!

I hate you, I hate you.

Where would you be without me? Gollum. Gollum. I saved us. It was me. We survived because of me.

Not anymore.

What did you say?

Master looks after us now. We don't need you.

What?

Leave now and never come back.

No!

Leave now and never come back!

Ahh!

LEAVE NOW AND NEVER COME BACK!

We told him to go away! And away he goes, preciousss. Gone, gone, gone, Smeagol is free!