Yee hah the Premier of LOTR - Return of the King is on tonight in Wellington. Huge crowds are there to be part of the action, see the webcam

(web cam removed because the events finished now!) :p

theres a massive parade on also. The sneak previews say this movie will blow away the previous two. Peter Jackson has to be a dead set shoo for an Oscar this time. Cant wait for Dec 17 when it releases for real ( Japan as usual will sometime next year :rolleyes: )

I have held off seeing any of them with the idea of getting the whole bag of them in a dvd set and watching them back to back / night after night... what ever.

Can anyone give me an idea of when the last movie will be made and the entire set available on dvd?

The last one about to be released.

The DVD for the last one will probably be released about summer time 04.

Then an extended super special edition DVD November 04.

Then probably a super super dooper special fab edition DVD with 345 discs in 2005 summer.

etc

etc

db...

the lotr series is just one of the movies that must be seen on the big screen...

a 36inch tv would just not do it justice...rent the first 2, and see the third in the theatre! roppongi hills has an incredible theatre...do it!

danz

I was hitching in NZ once and got picked up by the stunt crew on the south island while they were shooting one of the movies. It was cool. Those types are badasses.

I was sitting next to a female stunt crew member when I asked if they get to play with real swords. She turned her head and pointed out a massive cut on the side of her face. Badass. The two dudes in front were hardcore, too. Driver - taught martial arts in Thailand. Passenger - was ex-NZ SAS.

They told me they were wondering whether or not to pick me up, but decided that if they didn't like me, between them they could easily kill me and leave me where I'd never be found. Nice blokes.

4 DVD sets? What is that? A super extended version? Or just extras, like interviews, 'the making of' etc... (which I've already seen on single DVDs...)

I loved the first two films.... can't wait for the 3rd.

4DVD. 2 are the movie. They are too long esp with 4 commentary tracks!

2 are extra stuff, all you could wish for and more

cut and paste form Amazon.com

DVD Features:

© MMII New Line Productions, Inc. The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, and the characters, events, items, and places therein are trademarks of The Saul Zaentz Company d/b/a Tolkien Enterprises under license to New Line Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

DISCS 1-2: The Feature:

A new version of the second installment includes 43 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film. (approx. 223 minutes)

Commentary track by writer-director Peter Jackson and writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens

Commentary track by the design team

Commentary track by the production/post-production team

Commentary track by 16 cast members, including Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Andy Serkis, John Rhys-Davies, Orlando Bloom, Christopher Lee, Bernard Hill, and Miranda Otto

DISCS 3-4: The Appendices:

Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

DISC 3:

Adapting the book into a screenplay & planning the film

Designing and inspiration for locations in Middle-earth

Storyboards to pre-visualization

Weta Workshop visit: See sculptors in action as they create weapons, armor, creatures, and miniatures from the film

Atlas of Middle-earth tracing the journey of the Fellowship

An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process

Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists

DISC 4:

Sending the actors into battle: sword fighting

Principal photography: Stories from the set

Digital effects including motion capture and the computer program to create the armies of Orcs

Bigatures: a close-up look at the miniatures

Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos

Post-Production: editing it all together

Sound design demonstration

DVD-ROM Content: Includes access to exclusive online features

Widescreen anamorphic format

Number of discs: 4

Quote:
Originally posted by kamoshika:
includes 43 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film. (approx. 223 minutes)
that is the clincher right there, 43 mins of new stuff, makes the movie more complete, deeper and fulfilling. Its hard to do "Lord of the rings" justice with 3 3 hour movies. 9 hours to cover an epic 1000 page book rich with action, drama and adventure, is just not enough. And to think that the initial request was only ONE 3hour film! those movies execs must have been having a laugh that day:rolleyes:
 Quote:
Originally posted by danz:
and see the third in the theatre! roppongi hills has an incredible theatre...do it!
not a bad idea man. I can see all three in a row with the third on the so called big screen (I never get excited about the cinema, nice to have but not a big mover for me). No matter, it is better than a kick in the pants so I just may do it.
  • 3 weeks later...

just got back from the theatre.....and 2 thumbs up, capped off the series well. Stunning movie. Wobbly final 10 mins though. Should have pulled the pin after the crowning and left well enough alone, but hey, still an amazing movie. Going for a drive to Edoras tomorrow, its an hour from home town \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by night-mare:
Going for a drive to Edoras tomorrow, its an hour from home town

:rolleyes:

Arent you in Nara?

Top movies.
at home in NZ for Xmas. went to edoras this arvo, pretty cool part of NZ.
30+ degrees today, lovely summer weather \:D

Saw Return of the King tonight. Excellent movie, but not as good as the Two Towers. Too much self-congratulating and winking at the audience to really be taken too seriously. There were some amazing battle sequences that are just amazing in scope and point-of-view, just crazy "which way is the camera pointing, and what direction is it moving?" kind of stuff that was better than anything in the Two Towers, or just about anything else I've seen for that matter, excluding snowboarding vids of course. But the Two Towers just had more tension, and moved along at a swifter pace, whereas this movie plodded in spots. The Two Towers also seemed much more epic and sweeping, whereas with Return, I could never tell which battle was the most important.

But yeah, great, really enjoyed it.