iPod alternatives?? opinions??

I am in the market to get a hard-drive mp3 player...what do you all think about the ipod alternatives out there today??

I am thinking between the

Rio Karma (20gb)

iRiver iHP-120 (20gb)

iPod (20gb)

there are a few other players out there, but these seem to be the ones most interesting to me...

I think....

iPod still edges the others in terms of design and user interface...

iRiver wins interms of crazy features (recording, inline remote w/lcd)

Karma wins interms of supported audio formats, docking options, weight, battery life

give it to me....which is the best!?

danz

I once had a bucho who was really into the word 'docking'. He tried to work it into every little speech he made. It was hilarious. None of his Japanese subordinates had a clue what he was talking about.

'Kore kara Jigyohonbu to, shikkari to dockingu shite iku houshin desu.' lol.gif

Sorry to hijack your thread danz.

check this pic...

digitaltirade-01.jpg

I am really starting to lean towards the rio...

much cheaper, more audio playback features, battery life 2x as long...con is no inline remote...but it looks like one is on the way

danz

I love my iPod, and I'm living in hope that I'll eventually be able to plug a stereo mic into it and record rehearsals and live gigs, like the Nomad does. I hate having to use MDs or drag a DAT around for that kinda thing. I'm interested in the Nomad for that very reason.

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise:
I love my iPod, and I'm living in hope that I'll eventually be able to plug a stereo mic into it and record rehearsals and live gigs, like the Nomad does. I hate having to use MDs or drag a DAT around for that kinda thing. I'm interested in the Nomad for that very reason.
so the nomad has a mic input?
i hate portadats, so im pretty interested in being able to use something else to record interviews etc. i was considering an m.d but ive already had one and it died, so maybe an mp3 player is the way to go.

just did some research and it seems the nomad jukebox 3 is for recording .wav files, but it still looks too bulky for my liking (still not as bulky as a portadat though)...i like the nomad zen because of its size, anyone know if the zen can record .wav files?

The iRiver has all your recording needs satisfied...including digital/optical/analog line in and outs....it is a much smaller package than the nomad too....if you want recording, look into the iRiver...it even has a built in mic (although, you would probably want an external stereo mic for music...but for voice the internal should be fine...)

danz

Danz,

Just my two cents. I love my ipod, don't get me wrong, but one thing I am not happy with is the degredation of the battery. I have had mine 5 months and I am a heavy user, like nearly all day every day on the commute and at work in the lab. BUT the life of my battery is now down to about 4-5 hours after a full recharge, down from 8 hours when new. I seems I am always running out of power now. I read that the battery should only last for around 300 charging cycles, which means my iPod should only last for a year then die. I guess you can get the battery replaced, I sure hope so. Anyway, not sure if the other players have a better battery but it is something to think about.

Cheers

yah...that definetly has been a factor for me...reports seem to say that the ipod goes kaput after about 18months...I believe you can replace the battery, but at a cost of near $200 (you can get the karma for $234 now at amazon!)

The new players have much better battery performance, but all have limited life span...I think the zen has a user-replacable battery

still leaning towards the karma....

danz

I seriously doubt the iPod, or any brand that doesnt already have a line in, to make an upgrade of that type without buying a comletely new toy...

a line in for recording usually means 1) a line-in jack 2) and A/D converter 3) audio encoder (if you would record directly to mp3 or whatever)...

the most important part is the A/D converter, and I seriously doubt there is one waiting there inside your tiny pod...so best bet is to look for a new set-up

danz

I think you might be able to take it back if the battery really goes bad as long as it's under warranty.

As for recording - the iPod can record, there's currently a 3rd party mono mic that works for it. Sure, they may need to update the models for stereo, but then I'd just sell my current one and upgrade in a flash. Still, I'm going to keep that iRiver in the back of my mind.

Big-will,

Use it all day every day and in another three to six months you WILL see a loss of battery life. On the apple website itself they suggest the battery only has a life of 300 charging cycles. So unless you have the 'magic' iPod battery you be in the same boat as I after about a year, maybe less. Just part of the product I'm afraid, but one they don't openly advertise of course :rolleyes:

One way to help conserve it is to keep topping it up whenever you're near your power source/computer, rather than letting the charge totally run down. Of course that's a moot point if you're out and about continually for very long periods of time.....

>>>>...I believe you can replace the battery, but at a cost of near $200 (you can get the karma for $234 now at amazon!)>>>

Thats mad! How come its so much. Its like the printer ink deal. mad.gif

I-pod..there is no substitute...ok, actually there are many. the battery is a bit of an issue for heavy users like myself. The reason it's so much to replace is that it's not user replaceable. Still, though performance, sound and design wise, it's still the winner...IMHO. Upgrade of line in/stereo mic would be nice though. They could upgrade it record stereo without the addition of an D/A converter via emulation software but thus it wouldn't be true stereo but emulated. Still love the little thing though. Just don't drop it!

I just saw an external add-on device that fits several AA batteries in there to extend battery life in Sofmap for up to I think it was another 10-15 hours or something like that. Of course it only costs around 7,000 yen - without any batteries........

I have been playing around with the jukebox player called J.River Media Center...it is pretty amazing, and meant to handle all your media (images, movies, audio). It has tons of plugins to handle portable devices too like iPod...

you can get a 30^day trial version from their site... www.jrmediacenter.com

check it out...

danz