Japanese music it's ok to like...

Forget the crap Jpop and disposable stuff. Can anyone recommend any Japanese artists that produce decent sounds for me to give them a check out? I'm sure they must exist lol.gif

Cheers.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone remember that song with a chorus of guys all singing "Hai Hai Hai!" in the chorus? they played it 2-3 times a day in Niseko, february 2002.

it was terrible, but really catchy - I'd love to find a copy of it for a giggle. \:D

Not sure what your taste is like, but here are a few I'd recommend checking out:

DJ Krush (hip hop), Towa tei (original), Cornelius (rock), Nujabes (hip hop), Buffalo Daughter (rock), Satoshi Tomiie (prog-trance), Ishino Takkyu (techno), the brilliant green (rock)(...used to be a guilty pleasure of mine)

Im sure there are lots I'm forgetting, but thats a good start. Otherwise, I find j-pop, mainstream j-hip hop, and j-rock unbearable....

Satoshi Tomiie gets a big icon13.gif from me. She's only half listenable when Cornelius is on her case.

Buriguri are icon14.gif though.

That's an opinion Mr*. We learned about those the other day didn't we? ;\) Know what I mean?

I agree about UA - shes like a 2nd rate Bjork, which isnt half bad :-)

Also agree with The Brilliant Green, they are pretty good if you are into indie rock. They were heavily influenced by Ride, if you remember those (great) guys.

Another decent group are Love Psychodelico, who are also indie-style.

Love Psychodelico

OK, but she :rolleyes: should CHEER UP a bit.

Are The Brillian Green still together? I thought that girl was off doing her candy pop February 6 or whatever its called.

A few I've liked:

Zoobombs, DJ Kentaro, Yoshinori Sunahara, UA, Puffy, Cornelius, Pizzicato Five, Captain Funk, DJ Krush, Kahimie Karie, Mad Capsule Markets, Dragon Ash, Pushim (but she's getting annoying lately)...thassall I can thinkabout right now.

Satoshi Tomiie is a bloke. He's a keyboard player who went to NYC and started hanging out with some of the big names in the early days of house music. His biggest tune is The Whistle Song, a deep house semi-classic which crops up from time to time on ordinary radio. It was produced by Frankie Knuckles.

I don't like the stuff he makes, or his dj compilations so much, but they're all very professionally done. It's at the trancey end of progressive house, what a lot of the really big name djs (sasha etc) play.

Another Japanese artist, a guy who calls himself Fantastic Plastic Machine, has just done a chilled out version of The Whistle Song with some nice acoustics and a soft scat laid over an easy samba beat. It's on one of Danny Krivit's mix CDs, maybe the Nite Life one. It's one example of a cover version that really works.

There's loads of good Japanese club jazz. Go to Mr Bongo in Tokyo or Especial (the younger Okino brother from the Kyoto Jazz Massive's shop) in Osaka and I'm sure they'll have you spending your pennies in no time.