Hello. Its difficult subject for me to understand it, but I read about catholic church and some sex scandal for priest in the US. I want to know more about it. Why is there problem like this with religious priest? Can you explaining easy for me.

Yeah simple. Catholic church requires priests to have NO SEX. Priest is often surrounded by little boys (or girls) doing jobs around the church. In his sexual frustration, sicko priest decides to rape little boys or girls and tries to use his position of power to stop the victim telling his or her parents. Because Catholic priests are meant to have NO SEX, often the people who sign up to be priests already have sexual prefences that are not socially (or morally) acceptable and that can't be openly practiced. Or they have these urges and try to "heal" themselves by turning to a life of religion.

I blame the pope, just let them marry and have a sex life for God's sake (no pun intended).

Sorry akibun, not so simple, but it is not a simple topic!

There's a good article about that here .

no sex = celibacy

Particularly relevant parts are:

They say celibacy allows them to have open and transparent relations with many people at once, while giving themselves entirely to Jesus Christ. And the more peculiar that practice looks to the rest of society, the more important it is for the Catholic Church to prove that sex need not be the center of human existence, church leaders say--even as they acknowledge that celibacy will never be lived perfectly by all priests.

Celibacy has been a part of church tradition since its inception. In his writings, St. Paul called on those who were able to give up earthly attachments, including family and marriage.

By the 4th Century A.D., when persecution of Christians ended and an official hierarchy of churches emerged, some began adopting codes of celibacy for clergy. Other church leaders fought mandatory celibacy, especially for those who would have to leave a wife and family to become celibate.

Prompted in part by the example of monastic life and in part by fears of distributing church property through inheritance, the medieval church moved closer to a consistent standard of celibacy for clergy. Pope Gregory VII is generally credited with making the discipline universal and mandatory for priests in the western church in the 11th Century.

"I realized I was being celibate and I was happy. I have friends who love me and who I love," he said. "And at the core of our chastity is a very, very real relationship with the living Christ."

Paedophiles (sexual deviants who like little boys and girls) seek out positions of trust, with access to children. A priest (until recently) had the absolute trust of those around him. Therefore, the nature of the job proved to be very attractive to paedophiles.

What about all those priests that are in general doing a whole lot of good, whose lifes work go unnoticed and who've never touched children, women or a drop of alchohol.

Akibun, why don't you try this. SOME people are evil, SOME people are good. Simple really.

But we're talking about PRIESTS here, not the general public?!!? wakaranai.gif

One thing that is also annoying is the way the church seems to do all it can to hush scandals like this up and not admit to the problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Matthews:
What about all those priests that are in general doing a whole lot of good, whose lifes work go unnoticed and who've never touched children, women or a drop of alchohol.
Bit hard that last one Mr. Matthews, seeing the ceremonial wine (actualy sherry) that is meant to be converted in the blood of Jesus after the concecration at every catholic mass is drunk by the priest. So it's their job to drink alcohol. People actually beleive that they are drinking the blood of jesus.....tastes like cheap sherry to me. I wonder what a mass spectrometer would have to say about it.

In support of Mr. Matthews my parents were strict Catholics and were close friends with several priests who, besides their deluded state of mind, were great blokes who were kind, intelligent and pretty good company. And they loved a drink and a laugh. I am pretty sure they left the kids alone too.