Don Bradman.

For those benighted souls who don't know who he was, he played cricket for Australia. He so dominated the game during his career that his batting averages were almost twice a high as those of his contemporaries. In baseball terms, his batting average was over 700. There have been a lot a great sportsmen and women (most of them Aussies ;\) ) but Don Bradman (who was also knighted -Echineko) was head a shoulders above the rest.

He was also a remarkably humble and decent bloke.

I make a pointed effort to dislike all sports stars.*

Except for that 60 year old potato farmer that won the ultra-marathon between Sydney and Melbourne. Beat everyone in their fancy running shoes.

* and that includes bradman. for gods sake he might have been good but can't our country...... oh, I have said it all before.

My answer was actually a dig at the stereotypical response you get from most australians when asked this question. Should have added a winking smiley at the end. Having never seen 'the Don' in action I would have any idea how good he really was.

Actually Lance Armstrong would have to be up there, after coming back from cancer to dominate the tour de france. I used to love Daley Thompson the decathlete (sp?) as well, he was a great guy, true class and did a great interview. Anyone remember him?

anyone heard of Jim Thorpe? hands down the greatest "allround" athlete ever. By all accounts absolutely oozed talent. Speed power balance agility coordination. Was voted the #1 athlete of the 20th century.

hey kamo - we saw one of you bounding through the powder on the weekend.

We were in some trees in Hakuba and there you were.

Oh, in case I didnt mention it at least 4 times already: Sunday rocked. Perfect weather, perfect snow. I heard Saturday sucked.