For all gifts? Seems pretty low for the "average American." Especially low if this average American has a few kids.

My budget is much less however. But I am a long ways away from my family...and not the average American either.

does this include gifts for yourself??

whenever i buy new snow gear my excuse is - its for christmas. then i have to buffer that purchase with something for the lady with the same excuse. this includes snow holidays, in fact everything bought or paid for in december is for christmas.

so i'm a big spender.

on christmas day, however, i'll get and give nothing.

I have spent more on myself and gf than anyone else put together this year easily.

Parents back home forbit us to send home things - so I take presents back home when I go back.

I agree that Christmas presents are a nice thought but surely they should not be judged on how much money you spend on them. Buying unique, different things that the person is really going to appreciate has to be way more important.

When I am back home in the UK, I always seem to be less inclined to spend, say, 50 quid on something.

In Japan, I see something for 1 man - about the same value - that I want, and it gets bought without much fuss.

50 quid just seems like more of a purchase than 1 man, even tho they're about the same.

I wonder why that is. confused.gif