• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't help now though does it, although there is some truth in there.

But sometimes the portrayal is way over the top. I didn't find LIT to be ott in the portrayal of Jpeeps.

I like the Japanese TV shows and movies where for example they're supposed to be in New York City, they go into a bar, and the bartender is an Aussie or a guy with a German accent. Or a bunch of American street rappers speak as if they are from Kenya, not Compton or Oakland.

Or there is a scene set in a "cool, happening" Tokyo dance club, where the camera pans to show some older corporate TV producer's idea of what young people must look/act like in such places. There'll be an impossible mix of reggae, hip-hop, trancer, Harley-Davidson and Uniqlo-style "clubbers" all in the same room, with photogenic, attitude-laden foreigners talking to cool, sunglass-wearing Japanese. Just as weird as the "club/bar" in Beverly Hills 90210. All the while the lead characters carry on a normal conversation in low tones, as if the club speakers aren't really blaring at 110 decibels.

I used to club 2-3 times a week and even with earplugs my ears were ringing at the end of it all. It was all I could manage to scream into my g/f's ear "WANT ANOTHER MALIBU COKE?" and have her get it.

Imagine talking into your pal's ear using your bar/club voice, but doing it on the street or in a konbini. He would leap away, covering his ear and yelling OW!!!

It's all relative, boys, all relative.

\:D

just watched LIT last night...

Did the original version in the cinema have any subtitles for when everyone is speaking Japanese? My downloaded copy had no subtitles but I could understand the japanese so I still got the jokes.

I really enjoyed it, due to it being so dark and moody. Nothing really happens, yet its still interesting - I like movies that can pull that off.

Some of the cinematography was superb, such as when Bill Murray says goodbye uncomfortably to the female lead in the hotel lobby, and she dissapears into the mirrored elevator. That was such a perfect touch for that scene.

I thought the stereotypes were pretty close but exaggerated a bit. For example, the translator would never be quite as terrible as his translator was.

Know what you mean, hardly anything happening. But it's really good and well made - I like the looks the 2 of them gave in the karaoke scene.... no words needed.

• 1 month later...

Cool! More opinion giving where it was not asked for.

I actually felt bored and nodded of at one stage in the movie. I had no problems with it, just found it dull and repetitive. I don't mean to sound critical, there are plenty of dull movies (ie, I have nothing against this movie in particular).

I did however identify very well with the night time mental state when one cant sleep in a hotel in Tokyo after first arriving here. But I was here for years and my first week was uncomfortable and odd. The guy in the movie did a pretty good job at reminding me of that sensation, so I found that part of the movie a little uncomfortable. In this respect he acted well. But for god's sake, he was only in town for a few days. What a friggin fuss over nothing.

Other than that, it was a subtle and clean movie that was .............boring.

Watched it last night. OK, nothing amazing. I think if I wasn't interested in Japan I might not have enjoyed it so much.

I saw this movie last week and I really enjoyed it. What impressed me the most was just how it was filmed...the ability to move between the cold formal concrete tokyo and a warmer more organic tokyo. In fact, it captured my impressions of this city and Japan in a way that really shocked me; I didn' think it could be captured in that format.

The story itself is also good...although slow and subtle. But that is why I like it...it is not your typical hollywood flick.

my impressions...

danz

I totally agree with you danz. The subtlety in the storyline and imagery was what did it for me. Tokyo and the surrounding areas were beautifully filmed but presented Tokyo in its real light.

The lighting in the bar, the fake sakura that Scarlett Johansson decorated her room with, the golf scene, the pink wig Scarlett Johansson pulled off in the karaoke scene and one of the final scenes with the mirrored elevator doors shutting on Scarlett Johansson was all amazing. That and the fact that I had two friends who were extras in alot of scenes made the movie really interesting to me.

I think the Japanese in the cinema enjoyed the movie too. Admittedly they did not laugh in nearly as many spots as the few foreigners in the audience but the overall feeling was a very positive one after the movie.

I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

I found my dislike for the main characters grew into a dislike for the movie.

I have read a lot of complaints about the way Japanese people were portrayed in the movie. I disagree with them. I think the Japanese were protrayed exactly the way the main characters viewed the Japanese - I guess that is part of the reason I hate the main characters.

Also, I was bored to tears and contemplated switching it off. I`m afraid that I give this a movie a 1/10 and it only got 1 because I laughed at the noisy political van.

I saw it last night.

This is not spectacular drama but very likely story. It was OK for me. I could have a feeling of reality about Tokyo, Japanese people. My friends didn't enjoy it so much. They said it was very sarcastic. I just hope my marriage will not be like theirs.

Anyway, my friends said the virgine suicide was much better than this movie. I faild of seeing it and want to see it now!

I watched the virgin suicides last night. It is good movie, very different from lost in translation. Her film is not for entertainment but very artistic. I like music she uses in her films.

I just saw Virgin Suicides the other day as well. I prefer Lost in Translation - probably just because of the Japan angle. Not really my type of movie.