Christmas dinner - turkey or beef?

I am confused. I thought that a traditional Christmas dinner was for turkey. But on Tv last night, talking about crazy cow problem in US they said something about beef dinner.

Is it turkey or beef?

I want to try turkey one!

Turkey with cranberry sauce is a traditional English Christmas dinner. Many people, however, do not eat Turkey for Christmas. As many English speaking countries happen to be in the Southern Hemisphere cooking and eating hot turkey in summer is not much fun at all and so people resort to strange measures such as barbeques and eating cold seafood. Very nice indeed. Everyone should try a summer christmas one year! Stuff yourself stupid with food and drink before heading down to the beach in the afternoon for a surf or swim, if you are that way inclined. People everywhere but a great atmosphere. Highly recommended akibun!

People get bored of having the same thing every time, so they sometimes eat something different. The turkey thing was only a relatively recent and very successful marketing device. Traditionally people would eat swans, ducks, venison, ham, and all sorts of other stuff.

I wasn't aware that beef was a big Xmas favourite, but it seems as though maybe it is.

...traditionally meaning going back a couple of hundred years. Although I believe the royal family ate swans into the previous century.

Not had swan myself, but I had some duck the other day. Right meaty it was.

Duck is great stuff, isnt it! I have fond memories of going for a late night Peking duck with my best mate back home. Sharing a whole duck between 2 of us ... you would be stuffed by the end but it was tops. Wonder how much a duck costs in Japan!?

I took some pics of the line out the door at KFC. My friends at home will love to see those.

Pretty much all Americans eat turkey for Thanksgiving, so it is less common to have it again on Christmas. More common is a Christmas ham or sometimes roast beef.

Big-will, to answer your question. Yes. All swans are owned by her majesty, and proctected as thus. Don`t think it actuallly amounts to much in real life though cos all the stupid fishermen keep posioning them with lead weights, and no-one puts them in stocks for it.

O11, what about goose? Ex-girlfriends family always had goose, which I was really looking forward to trying, until the year I went they decided on a change and had turkey. Bummed. \:\(

Do people have stuffing with goose?

I think we had goose one year and weren't too impressed. It's hard to chase a goose down to get it to eat the hormones that pack the meat on. That was the year that we were 'bored' with turkey. ;\)

I believe experiments have been made in my family with smoked salmon for the sole purpose of leaving enough space to enjoy the christmas pudding at least once.

i always have both turkey and ham for thanksgiving and xmas. this years was quite a feast- appetizers all morning and afternoon, then the meal at 6, cheese course (first time for me to have after not before the meal), and finally dessert around 10. i could hardly move by the end of it.