Which country would you want your child educated in?

We were talking about this last night and if we'd want our kids to go through the Japanese school system, or one in another country. I probably know more about the system here than I do of back home, and don't know what the answer would be.

What do you think?

for me, i would much rather have my kids educated back home (nz) or in another western country - but that's only based on what i've seen in high schools here and what i've heard about japanese universities.

that's my own opinion based on what i value in life. i want my kids to enjoy their years at school, work hard at the same time but do it because they want to (the entry requirements for university back home is so much more sensible than it is here) and not because they have to. it's hard to explain, but maybe the japanese system would make more sense and i would appreciate it more if i were japanese.

I dont really agree with the above post about textbooks and so on, although it does suck that japan has no grass.

For me, I am starting to think about raising a child here in Japan. Theres so much violence, bullying and drugs going on with teenagers where I am from (London) that I would feel bad putting them through that. It seems to me that so long as your kid doesnt end up in one of the reject bin schools that they will turn out to be a decent person which is more than can be said for England where most of my friends and family are criminals or drug abusers.

However, Japan is changing fast and perhaps by the time my kids are teenagers there will be the exact same problem here anyway.

From what I have been told and what I have read, bullying and violence (especially if your child is not fully Japanese) is an established and mostly ignored (covertly supported?) part of Japanese high school. Guess you don't have to worry about the drugs so much though, at least not yet anyway. I be worried about my child losing his imagination and sense of individuality in the Japanese school system. That and having to wear your school uniform on the weekend \:\(

dont have kids. if i did though id deffo take them back home! i rekon the drugs and violence would be better!!! aint nothing wrong with a rough up bringing. this country is too safe. could make them too vunerable.

I taught kids for a while while in Japan, and from what I was able to see & discern talkin' to JET's, I think the younger kids had it really good. Good teachers and an overall good system that allowed them to be overall happy, well-adjusted kids. 1st and 2nd Junior high-school kids really impressed me, very interested in learning, and very creative. From 3rd year JHS (If I had Japanese kids, I'd take 'em out at this point) all the way through high-school everything went to hell. Just total apathy, and every ounce of creativity shredded to pieces. I couldn't get them interested in anything, English or not. I also read somewhere that Japan has an unusual number of sex-crimes committed by JHS & HS teachers. Who knows, but if that's the case, forget it, as far as a choice of environment, violence and drugs beat out sex crimes any day of the week.