• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Scotland skiing is perhaps not the best in the world. But I live here and have grown up here and it's nice to have on the doorstep. I like near Fort William and so Ben Nevis and Glen Coe are near me and the places I know well. We don't get much snow and the season is usually short. You can't beat a good hearty Scottish pub meal at the end of the day though, especially when relatives own the place. ;\)

I found this on the web, glad I'm able to laugh at it:

http://www.iseran.com/Stories/scottish_skiing.html

For me: Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands (indoor), Switzerland, France, Austria, Italy, Iran, Chile, New Zealand, USA (west-coast, Rockies and East coast) and Japan.

Iran was a very special experience. Old lift system, good snow, long liftlines on the mens section, no lift lines for women and wodka in the lift up.

I was in Iran around Christmas 2001. It was just the beginning of the season so there wasn't too much powder around, but it was fun.

A day pass for just $5!!! We stayed with friends at a cottage near Dizin. This is the largest skiarea in Iran. There are about 12 lifts to choose from.

Later we rented a taxi for a day to go to Shemshak. The taxi costed us $25 for the whole day. So skiing is really cheap.

Everything is build while the Sjah was still reigning the country (before 1979). So the lifts are old but still working properly and most rental ski's were also from that period. If you want to go make sure to bring your own stuff.

Below some pictures of Iran. Notice the third picture of the lift line. There are 4 women standing in line but in the background there are around 100 men waiting to get on the lift. So you should start thinking about cross dressing if you want to ski Iran.

The last one is a mural of the wall of the former US embassy.

Dizin_bord_s.jpg Dizin_poort_s.jpg Dizin_lift_s.jpg Tehran_USA01_s.jpg

For the surface lifts there is 1 line, but for gondola they have separate lines (although the gondola is mixed again). I used the womens line at the beginning, but I was told off by another foreigner that I had to stay in the other line.

It is fun, cheap and with some hiking enough to get you going for a week (given the right conditions). At the end of January there should be enough super dry snow that you can ski powder forever (or at least until the snow is pushed/rolled to the bottom of the valley).

So, Roswell ... are you from Roswell?? I went there once with a UFO fanatic. It was pretty funny.

Anyway, my list is so small ... Australia. That's it.

But I'm broadening my horizons (hopefully) by travelling to Japan in December - hence why I'm reading all these posts (to find out the best resort/area to go once there)