I was flicking through the channels last night and came to one channel BBC World I think it was and they had this program on about "speed skiing".

It was showing you these absolute nutters who find a very steep mountain, then build an extra run at the top that is steeper still - and ski down the thing, with speeds of up to 150mph (in 15 seconds)! eek.gif eek.gif Nuts they were, showed you one guy wiping out and it looked uncomfortable to say the least!

Just did a search and found this, check out the gear they use

http://www.speedski.com/

Ive done it and it is a blast.

You cant just go off of the top though.

during the day every skier must start from the bottom and progress to the top. a speed wobble, bad stop or turning on the course, results in you not being able to progress to the higher starts. It takes a good 5 to 6 runs to get to the top gate. it makes you feel more comfortable with the course. Sun Peaks in Canada has an event every year and it is quite fun.

best that ive done was 143.5kms in a regular ski wear. I couldnt be bothered to buy all the gear. plus sun peaks has 3 divisions. full on spee ski gear, regular race gear, then regular ski wear.

ski length is 210 min for everyone

I saw that it looked wild - eps when he went in the wind tunnel to experience 150mph, well he only got up to 130 before giving up. I'd like to see some of this in action. Standing well back of course.

the helmut dont do anything in fact most of them wont pass a govt. saftey test cause there is almost no crash padding in them. bones fine but he couldve used a Japanese squawlet toilet for a week and a half

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
248 km/h ?!! Holly s.... ,
That is way old. In 2002 Philippe Goitschel broke the record and the 250kmh barrier.

Current Men's Speed Ski World Record = 250.790 km/h = 155.834 mph by Philippe Goitschel

every year the course is fast or slow. my year the top guys were running 173kms. It was a big snow year so the course was smoooooth as.

the next year 165 was the max.

The course is what decides the speed.

Those pipe camps are expensive man and full of kids. Alot of money to get a pipe and not much coaching.

I was following Michael Milton's rise through the ranks - he's in the Para-Olympics:

'He became the world’s fastest skier on one leg in April 2003, breaking a 16-year-old world record when he clocked 193.13km/hr.

Earlier this year [2004] he backed it up, breaking that record three times in two days, finally settling on 198.68km/hr.

He will have another crack at that magical 200km/hr mark in France in April 2005.'

200km/hr on one leg?! eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

I have serious anxiety driving that fast! ;\)