Popcorn at the movie theater

How did eating popcorn at movies start?

I mean, it's not the most obvious is it? Noisy, hardly the most delish snack, etc.

Do you have popcorn at the cinema? I have only once just to see what the fuss was about, then I went back to my chocolate or whatever else.

Couldn't find a definative answer, but below is some information that is absolutely FASCINATING about popcorn \:\) Looks like the rest of the world copied the US (again) with the consumption of popcorn during movies. When will it ever end??? ;\)

Kintaro - couldn't stand that stuff when I was in Hawaii. ruined a good bag of popcorn once with it. Luckily I bought the mega-bottomless bag and just dumped it and got it refilled sans the mochi crunch \:\)

From http://www.actii.com/popcorner/hop.jsp

Recent Popcorn History

The first popcorn "machine" was invented by Charlie Cretors in 1885. Until then, poppers were made to sit in front of stores to attract attention. But vendors wanted to be close to the crowds, especially the crowds near movie theaters. So Charlie made poppers that could be pushed on foot, pulled by horse and mounted on trucks. Today, much of the popcorn you buy at movies and fairs is popped in poppers made by the Cretors family.

During the Depression, popcorn at 5 or 10 cents a bag was one of the few luxuries that struggling families could afford. While other businesses failed, the popcorn business thrived.

Home poppers were first introduced around 1925, and a few years later they were being built in Junior High shop classes.

During World War II, sugar was sent overseas for U.S. troops, which meant there wasn't much sugar left in the States to make candy. Thanks to this unusual situation, Americans ate three times as much popcorn as usual.

In 1945, Percy Spencer discovered that when popcorn was placed under microwave energy, it popped. This led to experiments with other foods, and the birth of the microwave oven.

Popcorn went into a slump during the early 1950s, when television became popular. Attendance at movie theaters dropped and, with it, popcorn consumption. When the public began eating popcorn at home, the new relationship between television and popcorn led to a resurge in popularity.

Americans today consume 17.3 billion quarts of popped popcorn each year. The average American eats about 68 quarts.

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:
) Looks like the rest of the world copied the US (again) with the consumption of popcorn during movies. When will it ever end??? ;\)
it will end when the rest of the world realises that you guys are fat slobs with bad skin and ADD from eating to much sugar and artificial flavours and colours ;\)

When i was wee....my mom used to have a popcorn popping machine. Not one of the noisy air ones like you get today...but one that looked like a frying pan with a big clear bowl on the top. You'd put a bit of oil in the bottom then the kernals - put the lid on and watch it pop. AAAHHH thems were the good'ol days! I loved watching it pop. Prob cause we'd have it only when there was a "special" on tv and i'd get to stay up late. clap.gif

I love popcorn.

And...by the way...it is actually good for you if you don't put alot of butter and salt on it. - lotsa fibre.

Sweetaz - I love making it that way! IMO, only way to do it, but I hardly ever do. I actually eat a bag of microwave popcorn at work almost every day. Usually get the light stuff that's lowfat. Put a bunch of Mrs Dash on it to spice it up. A good, healthy snack \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by d=(^o^)=b:

Quote:
Originally posted by Plucky:

) Looks like the rest of the world copied the US (again) with the consumption of popcorn during movies. When will it ever end??? ;\)

it will end when the rest of the world realises that you guys are fat slobs with bad skin and ADD from eating to much sugar and artificial flavours and colours ;\)
Hey now! I just watched a couple episodes of "The Ship" last night. The Americans look to be in good shape while the British are exemplified by a chubby, gap-toothed pasty white guy! Not sure about the Australians or Kiwi's - I wasn't paying that much attention. A pretty interesting show nontheless. By the way, I hate sugar \:D
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I won't give up is my popcorn at the flicks, part of the experience!

How often do people go? I'm usually at the movie theater once or twice a month, depending on what's on of course.

I very rarely grab snacks on my way into the cinema. Eating and drinking just don't go with watching flix on the big screen for me. On occasion we would smuggle in beer or flasks when it was a group of friends goin to some action movie or someting. In Japan you can just buy a brew from the concession stand.