How are eikaiwas doing now?

Many years back, there was an almost insatiable demand for eikaiwa.

What's it like now? Still tons of demansd out there, or have things tightened up since the "boom"? (was it a boom?)

hmmm

Big Will,

Monbusho added that to the curriculum two years ago. I know that in West Japan a company called Interac has many contracts for Elementary schools cuz some of my friends work for them.

Seems to me that NOVA has the strongest arm in the Eikaiwa business. They make so much more money than other Eikaiwas just because of the revenue they get from that stupid pink bunny. Went to the bookstore at Fukuya the other day (NOVA has a branch on the same floor) and many people were buying their pens/notebooks/that fluffy pink bunny doll. Couldnt believe it. But, from a business standpoint its pretty smart. Make money from your advertising! Im surprised AEON and Geos havent been benchmarking them yet. Luckily I dont work for an Eikaiwa :p Theres just too much B.S. to deal with at those kinds of schools.

It depends on the area as to how well they are doing.

In my part of town kids classes are full & with waiting lists and with more & more young families moving in around here it can only mean good things for me & my no.2 biz :p

It seems a bit turbulant. I have a friend who runs a small eikaiwa and he has more students than he can deal with - a waiting list. A big increase in elementary school kids apparantly.

On the other hand, an adult eikaiwa has closed down in my neighbourhood.

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by sanjo:
Eikaiwa is "English conversation", here being referred to as an english conversation school.
Thanks sanjo. Now I understand \:\) Some friends of mine help out with English lessons on a weekly basis, but I don't think they are 'schools,' but more classes than anything.

All I know - I kick ass at charades now! I can get an 80 year old Japanese lady to understand I want more bamboo shoots and very hot spices in my ramen with a few simple hand gestures and facial expressions \:D
  • 1 month later...

A friend of mine is quitting his office job and starting his own eikaiwa just outside ikebukuro. He seems to think there is enough demand, it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

it's entrance exam time at my highschool right now, and the kids in Iwate now have to complete an English interview as part of the entrance requirements. i dunno what they ask since i wasn't invited to sit in on them, but that'll probably help the eikaiwa business as i think all highschools will soon have to do it too. i'm not quite sure, but Iwate may be the first prefecture to implement it.