Shit.

I was just preparing my Sony handycam for tomorrows day out on the slopes. For some reason it decided it was hungry and ate my tape. I'm not scared to try another tape in case it eats that and don't want to buy a new tape just for it to eat that and make it useless after 5 seconds.

So I'm thinking now I'll take the machine to Yamada or some other electric shop tomorrow and ask them to fix the machine (and fix the chewed tape as much as possible).

Anyone had a similar experience, any tips on which shops might be best for this kind of shitty don't-want-the-hassle-or-cost-but-no-choice job. I obviously want to spend as close to 0 yen as possible

\:\( \:\(

hotrod

I suspect it's most likely a hot/cold issue. I've had the same with mine as well. Give it and the tapes a few hours in a room at a steady temp and it is ok.

hope thats the case here as well. \:\)

Well I went to a shop on Sat and it seeemd to be working fine when they took a look at it - and said it was probably the temperature issue as you mentioned. So apart from 2 chewed up tapes, it seems to be working ok now.

Thanks for the input.

So - anyone any ideas of anyone who can fix chewed tapes?? (The shop I went to said no-one, not even Sony themselves, offer that service.)

Sometimes if and when your machine does get broke, you might be better buying a completely new one instead of the ripoff of repairs. The concept of repairs here seems so different from back home.

"Broken? Ah, shucks. OK, buy new one!"

I think things are getting better in that respect, people spending less and all. I know there used to be a real throwaway thing going on with all sorts of stuff. Look at the way 100 yen shops are all over the place now.

If you have the two broken ends you can splice them together with tape. Hmmm, maybe even just plain scotch tape but don't quote me. Something that will stick and stay. I used to use a splicer to fix old cassettes but finding that tape nowadays will be a bit more tricky.