Salesman coming to the office

There's this salesman (he sells books) that comes to our office about once a week. He just seems to wander in, sit down, have a ciggie and drink and read our newspaper. I've never actually seen him sell anything and sometimes I'm sure he comes and goes without actually talking to anyone.

It just seems like a ridiculous waste of time.

Whats the deal?

wakaranai.gif

We have a guy that comes a couple of times a month selling badly designed ties. No-one ever seems to buy anything from him either, but he does seem to enjoy the chats and the coffee.

I used to get a coffee, go upstairs to my computer, chat with Mogs via mail all day, then go home.

Nobody ever asked ME if I worked there. In a way, I never really did.

And I think that's how they wanted it. Never has an employer's asking so little cost me so much effort.

Put another way, that was the hardest I've ever not worked.

When I first came here, and I was really not busy, I used to enjoy talking with one of those guys he was really friendly. I think being realy friendly was his job, he didn't ever seem to do much else. He was always well up on current events, because he read a couple of newspapers just in our offie.

I spoke to the guy just now. I hope I wasn't shitsurei, but I asked him about his job and why he came here. From what I could gather (this was all done in my very poor Jaygo), he said a big part of his job was "doing the rounds" - so visiting all of his main clients once a week, even if they didn't want anything or make any orders. Almost like a purely "ningen kankei" job, showing his face. And at the same time drinking coffee and reading the paper.

• 1 year later...