Wow!

I bet the local businessmen in Iiyama are head over heels. This will do wonders for that woeful little one-horse town.

It can only draw business away from Karuizawa though in terms of the weekend retreaters from tokyo.

actually iiyama's already been building up quite a bit- lotsa big stores like besia, cainz home, plug city, heinendo, mcds, etc and the best italian restaurant i've been to in japan. yeah, they've started building it- you can see pillars in various spots. it probably wont be completed for years though.

i dunno. i think i've heard it's going thru nakano- but that could be just the track and not an actually stop. nakano and iiyama are pretty close (like a 10 minute drive) but they are on different sides of a river and different train lines (jr for iiyama, dentetsu for nakano).

• 2 weeks later...

It was first time for me to take Nagano Shinkansen on Friday. I really enjoyed beautiful view of Fujisan on the left side. And the bus from Nagano to Hakuba going along a dam was also enjoyable. It was snowing since the night before and the scenery was like an old Japanese folktale. I loved it.

I'm sure I read something about a new Shink station on the Joetsu Shink line as well. Just did a search, but can't find anything on that \:\( Was I imagining that?