i believe it is the northern tribes of Thailand. remember seeing it in my lonley planet.

i dont know if i would go so far as to say that its cruelty. they arent being punished by any means. traditional!

They're actually called the Kirin tribe I believe, and they live in Mongolia I heard.

Christ, do a little quick search and find out about 'em instead of posting what you erroneously believe...

(What Shimba said is right.)

Any bodily mutilation performed on non-consenting infants is cruel. That includes circumcision. This kind of culturally sactioned mutilation is painful and pointless, and therefore cruel.

Many ludicrous justifications are found for it, but who would want to have deformed shoulder bones, have to carry around and clean heavy brass rings, and not be able to skateboard? Or have their glans constantly rubbing against their pants until 30% of its sensation is lost, and an ugly ring of scar tissue around their most cherished member?

I've been and seen some of these people close up. They were very friendly, of course they should be seeing as though they were in some tourist village. I couldn't help feel bad for them though, it looked pretty freaky.