The Japanese flag (with big red ray things coming out from the blob)

When we were in Japan we saw some flags that were like the main Japan flag, but instead of just a red blob, there were some big red rays coming out from the blob. Not explaining that very well am I (still overworked since coming back). What is that then?

That would be the flag representing all the righteous goodness emanating from Japan in the form of the doings of the Japanese Army and Navy in WWII.

Perhaps the NZers might consider a flag showing a kiwi with some nice brown rays spreading out of it. Or something.

That was a serious response.

Check it out here .

Actually the benevolence and goodness started flowing overseas from the Meiji period when the flag was first used. This may sound flippant, but essentially that's what the flag was conceived to represent...

But if you want a more 'serious' answer - try going to a bookstore and buying some books.

alot of that is true,

as far as representing all the righteous goodness emanating from Japan, i dont know but its totally believable. its true that it is from the beginning of the Meiji Era though, just before the turn of the century. it was then used by the navy until the end of the second world war when it was banned by the americans as the japanese werent permitted a self-defence force. however, it was taken back some time after as forces were rebuilt.

whats interesting to know is that there are a few flags with different numbers of rays. the one you probably saw had 16 but i believe that there are others with different amounts!

interesting eh!