A couple of questions here. First of all, how would you classify yourself? To the left or to the right? From most of what I've read on this site, I'd say that most people lean to the left. I'm not huge into discussing politics and find it rather a bore most of the time. One thing I'm seeing in a lot I've read recently (mostly to do with the impending US Prez election) is that liberal doesn't necessarily mean democrat and conservative doesn't necessarily mean republican (but mostly does). I'm definately of the liberal persuasion myself and do mostly identify with the demos in the US, but pretty much think most politicians are slime sucking grease balls.

I'm also curious about this in Japan. Is Japan considered a fairly conservative society politically or more liberal? 50/50? The old guard (conserv) vs. the younger generation (lib)? I've done a little reading on it, but am wondering what people more educated in the Japanese political system might have to say.

thanks for any input you have!

So, I'll have to chalk that up to right-wing conservatism....

Fascism:

A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.

n : a political theory advocating an authoritarian hierarchical government (as opposed to democracy or liberalism)

(yeah, so I know how to use dictionary.com)

I recently read "Slouching Towards Gomorrah" by Robert Bork. I agreed with about 80% of what he has to say, although I disagreed strongly with his views on the need for censorship, and the need for religion.

His view is that modern neo-liberalism tends to seek equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity, and that this leads to all sorts of folly. I agree with that. Look what is happening in California - people who are not qualified to get married are being given equal status to those who are. They have an equal opportunity to get married but either can't or won't take it. Even the judges who are allowing it are too dumb to see the problem.

Although Bork has nothing to say about capital punishment in his book, I suspect I would disagree strongly with his views on that too.

I also read Greg Palast's book, "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy", and agreed with most of that too.

So that probably makes me a classic liberal democrat who believes in the strict rule of law. With occasional tendencies towards fascism in my personal habits.

Ocean, you should check out Skipping Towards Gomorrah by Dan Savage

http://www.skippingtowardsgomorrah.com/

I doubt you'd agree with it, but funny stuff. I definately agree with Savage's point that all these Con's do is whine about the fate of American society, say how it is going down the toilet, using that to qualify their own agenda, but then at the end of their mash, declare American society to be the best in the world's history in a patriotic rant. Want their cake and want to eat it, too.

Kintaro - Yes he was.

barok - I started Bork's book expecting to be bored, annoyed, and repulsed. But he is an excellent writer, in a completely different league from Wm Bennett. He argues his points graciously, and is far, far wittier than 'Dan'. Some of it is LOL funny, and that's laughing with, and not at. What 'Dan' has to say is just puerile froth.

The "Bennetts, Buchanans, Pat Robertsons, Dr. Lauras, and Bill O'Reillys", and I might add, the David Horowitz's are dishonest shitheads, and I can't stand their posturing. But Bork is different. Have you read him?

As I say, he makes some unforgiveable errors in that book, but the rest seems very valuable comment.

I'll have to check out some of these books. Doubt I'll be able to find them on base, but I'm sure Amazon has them.

So, any insight to Japan and it's political leanings? I am curious about this, mainly for curiousity's sake.

My take on it is that the Japanese government is semi-fascist. It is able to persist because it panders to rural voters who may not personally be conservative but who are persuaded to be so by the government - a sort of circular parisitism.

Urban voters may actually be far more cosmopolitan and radical, but they are structurally discriminated against by the electoral system that gives greater weight to the low-population rural regions which are being bribed to be conservative. (The bribes are actually slowly destroying them and hollowing out their regions even further).

There is a long history in Japan of totally irrational politics that persists today, based on empty slogans that people don't even necessary believe in. The last election was dominated by the slogan 'Manifesto' - a foreign word, not even yet a loanword, that most Japanese don't even understand. The word was explained endlessly on the talk shows, and while the content of the manifesto itself got some coverage, it was often a very superficial look.

Just my take on it...

Thanks for the insight Ocean. Interesting stuff.

The last book I read on this (the name escapes me now and it's not at home) basically discussed the political system up until the early 70's. It's obvious that there were some turmoltuous times for the Japanese in the early half of the century, but the political system never really did seem to reflect the views of the majority. It sounds like the same thing may be going on today.

I'll have to do some more research into this. It sounds interesting and I am curious.

thanks again

The Enigma of Japanese Power - Wolferen

Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan - Bix

Dogs and Demons - Kerr

These are good books for obtaining an appropriately negative outlook on Japan. If you don't have time to read the first two, the Kerr book is a good place to get some good, quick insights.

But the worm may be turning slowly. The fact that Governor Tanaka won two elections in Nagano, the second one in a failed 'coup' attempt to oust him, suggests that some provincial areas are waking up. Tanaka is neither conservative, nor a complete intellectual lightweight like the other populist governors. How long Tanaka lasts, and if he leaves a lasting legacy of rebellion remains to be seen.

One reason I want to take my money out of the Japanese Post Office savings and put it overseas is to stop it being used as slush money for yet more construction in Japan.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
I'm mostly liberal. However I do favor the Republicans long term capital gains tax cuts and the dividend tax cuts.
confused.gif

I never knew the statement "I'm mostly liberal" could be followed by praise for republicans. Unless you make over $150,000 a year, not sure how you can be so happy about those tax cuts.

All politicians are rubbish.

They should try to sit down and work together (over a good cheese fondue perhaps) instead of all their blabbering and trying to gain the upper hand on each other.

blah.gif