Is Japanese bigotry pervasive against gaijin?

You guys, sheesh, this whole racism thing is a complicated situation, with many factors, and you shouldn't pass judgement, since you can't possibly understand all of those factors involved.

I never really got discriminated against in Japan in any big way. People were not overly friendly in Nagano however, and people explained it to me as Nagano is a mountain town, so just as that geographical barrier exists, people put up their own personal barriers moreso than people in other parts of Japan. I suspect you might have heard the same silly explanation in Misawa there, Pluck.

I was however very surprised when I travelled around Japan, how friendly and helpful people treated me. Probably because they saw me as a tourist (baseball hat, backpack, and skateboard). In any case, Plucky, you should remember racism (albeit not institutional) is far more ugly here in the US. Don't believe me? Check out any yahoo news message board whenever a black or mexican person makes the news. Hell you could run a story about Australian Aborigines, and the rednecks would still complain about all of the "problems caused by niggers."

The ignorance just totally blows me away.

25% of the people on base get off? Seems a small amount of people? What is wrong with the rest?

My wife comes from Yokosuka where one of the naval fleet for the US forces reside. I have spent many a weekend in the area and met many nice US peoples, but I have witnessed just as many replusive ones too.

I cannot help but think that more often than not the attitude taken by many from the bases of their host country be the root to many of the problems experienced by all.

I do not mean this as a direct attack at base people. As I said I have met many pleasant people, but I hope that it can perhaps jerk some thoughts on the idea of assymilation.

How can you have lived in Japan for 25 years + and not speak a word of Japanese? (Yes, I have met such a person from the Yokosuka base.)

Hey all, three days later and I've calmed down a bit. I've followed this thread with interest and pretty much have read what I expected. Of course others will have similar problems while living in a host country and others may have none at all. I'm sure that happens in any place.

I realize that me living in a US base town probably does mean that some things become escalated between the locals and the visitors. Many Japanese may not be happy that we're here and I understand that. However, my post was more directed at one individual, the Japanese interpreter that works with the US base security forces. This is the second time I have seen him pull this in person and I've heard many other stories of him doing it to other people. The Japanese police have never been any help for Americans either. Enough on that though. I don't feel like being negative anymore. What happened, happened.

Let me just state that I really have enjoyed my time here and have met some wonderful people. Japan is a great place for the most part with some really backwards views (from my perspective). It doesn't make them bad people, it's just from my background, a lot of the stuff they do here is really different from what I'm used to. No biggy though. I'm glad I got to experience it. I've had way more happy experiences than bad one (it's just a few of the bad ones have been really bad).

Oh, and I've only been here 2.5 years - not 25. Did I forget the decimal in there earlier? \:\)

Oh, and I have been working with the video for those that asked/commented. Got all of the clips downloaded from this site and have been playing with them. Put some more up people! \:D

the nly trouble I:ve had is the complete lack of decency towards people carrying heavy things... Everytime I find myeslf being sent to a new location with heavy pack and skis in tow, people will go out of their way to shut doors in my face. One guys actually sent me flying back on a train without so much as a sumimasen. rgh. but other than that, I:ve only ever had kindness.

M