Hey!

Does anyone here have experience with the Rookie Academy in Treble Cone or Keystone?? I will soon be too old (sniff) for the WHVs and can't imagine teaching English for more than another year, so figured teaching snowboarding would be a good way to keep up the travelling.

I worked at Keystone a few years ago selling tickets and a lot of the instructors didn't have that many positive things to say about instructing. It can't be that bad, can it? At least you are outside and meeting people.

On another note. I just booked flights to San Francisco for Christmas. Hoping to get a few days in at one of the Tahoe resorts. Have never ridden there before. Where should I go? It is so exciting!

Discovered this site at the end of last winter - only just signed up. It is still scorching in Kyushu. Bring on winter!!

put your resumes around. the gaijin places teach more skiing than sowboarding. The main reason is that it is a grey population and a H.K. market that is not hard core.Appy to the resorts but you should have some level or if you dont a video might be a good idea to prove that you can ride.

Naeba

Anywhere in Hakuba

Nozawa

Kawaba

Arai

Myoko

are good places to start and I would start soon.

youll make about 150000+ maybe at a resort I did a long time ago

Im ski instructing in Hakuba for a gaijin company this winter, really easy to get a job, as for the T.C. course, dont know, I did mine at Mt Hutt and you get very little work for really shit pay, on the flip side you get heaps of free riding time. Most ski and snowboard instructors are really poor, not a job to get rich at.

Thanks for the info.

Captain Stag -

Did you do the weekend course or the full time course at TC? Is it worth the $13000 that they charge? Did you find that your skiing/riding improved during the course? Basically do you recommend it for someone that wants to have some fun, improve their style, and be able to get a job out of it at the end?

I am not fussed about the limited earning potential of instructing. I just want to find a way that I can keep travelling while doing something that I enjoy.

I am from NZ. Does anyone know of any better courses out there?

Cheers!

I did the weekend course but I didn't pay anything like $1300. It was $500-$600 when I done it which worked out a great deal. 13+ days of instruction from examiners. Compare that to the cost of regular lessons from a stage 1 instructor.

Yes it improved my skiing a lot. No matter how good you are you cant make any significant improvements without lessons - stage 2 instructors and examiners included.

I definately reccomend it, heaps of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

The Rookie course at Treble Cone is wicked!!! I did it when I was supposed to be at Uni in 1996, and had already been skiing for 15 years.

It improved my skiing outtasight, if you are already a good skier this will make you a wikked one!

Trainers Dean and Garrett don't take any shi$ and they tell you what to with no beating around the bush. You learn quickly! The course isn't for pussies, there is a lot of full-on off piste (one ski through cut up crud down black diamond runs) and a lot of OKI Ha-no-Ji on the beginners slopes.

At the end you will be a solid as skier who can ski the whole mountain and make it look like you are on a groomed run the whole time!

Cheers!

Boardbaka, who's that? Sheesh I was surprised to see that reply there!! It was the first time I'd looked at this forum for ages yesterday and was surprised enough to see a question about the Rookie Academy.

I see you are in Saitama, I'm in Yokohama, looking forward to the winter! Loving this cold weather.

Who are youuuuu???

Jamie! clap.gif