Should fat people pay more?

I've been reading this forum for quite a while now, but made the move to register and join in! Hi! wave.gif

How about this for a topic starter... I was reading about some airline that has decided to charge more for fat people on their flights (bigger seats reserved for them?). I like the idea. What do you think?

I think you should just pay for the price of the seat; if you can fit two people in that seat, then so be it. That way, two skinny (or small) people can fly for the price of one fat person.

They can even share a meal since they eat less then porko.

My dad flew into a remote part of Fiordland in NZ by helicopter to do a bit of fishing. The three passengers on the chopper were allowed 125kg including themselves. The pilot was strict about it too, my dad is a big guy 190cm (6-3)and is about 95 kg, so he could only take 30kg of gear for a week of fishing, his buddy is a little man who weighed 60kg and therefore was allowed 65kg of gear.

each person on a plane could be treated in a similar way, not exactly the same but a mathematically balanced scale of some sort.

But all the pro fat anti discrimination lobby human rights civil liberterian blowhards would cause such a ruckus it would never get off the ground.

Southwest airlines in the US got in a huge furor when it tried to charge a massively obese woman for 2 tickets as she couldnt fit in one seat.

I loathe to be placed next to such a passenger as they ooze into your space. I have wide enough shoulders and am cramped enough without having to take that into account.

Interesting topic indeed, I would hazard to guess as this is a sports site forum all the participants are "normal sized" people and none of us are obese. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally posted by kamo:
this is a sports site forum
If it were, I wouldn't be here. It is a lifestyle forum.

(but I do see your point).

On the topic: this idea is good but would never get off the ground.

If a large individual can fit in their seat, no extra charge... otherwise, have some larger seats that cost more, any 'overflow' and you get 'moved' there with surcharge.

In fact, that should ably to all. Ever had those skinny MF's who insist they're huge, and sprawl out, legs apart, arms hanging over both rests...

It would be a start, however, if airlines had adult sized seats in cattle class... How often does one's shoulder get clipped in the isle mad.gif

I'll tell you what - I prefer fat to smelly socks. Once I had to sit near to this guy who took his shoes off and his feet were really stinky. I wonder if he just doesn't know about his own feet being like that - they were pretty pungent I'll tell you.

That would really suck - I always prefer being next to a Japanese girl than a big fat English bloke (although I suppose that goes without saying) \:D

If I recall correctly, I think Tonga (or one of the other polynesian/s.pacific isles) has weight restictions.

ALL persons flying on the domestic carrier(s) must weigh in with their baggage.

As you know some super-heavyweights out of that area.

Fat people really need to look at themselves....glands......hah, I work with a fat dude who blames his genetics and he was destined to be big, he told me this while eating a suger donut 1 hour after lunch where he had a couple of MacDees burgers, chocolate, potato chips and a a big bottle of coke.....and he never exercises......also claims that many Japanese people stare at him cause he is a gaijin...no buddy they stare at you because you a the size of a whale :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

lol.gif

Thats the old excuse isn't it? I actually had to endure sitting next to a blubberblubber on a flight to the US once and it really was no fun at all. He was spilling over the side of his seat and I felt as if I got a real bad deal - very uncomfortable.

I hate sitting next to a fat person. They leave no room for you, and they often had a BO problem as well.

My housemate #1 was asking me the other day, how she could get fit and loose weight. Well, I almost told her to stop eating 2 TV dinners at a go. (they are the "lite" meals, so maybe she figures that 2 of them are OK.) Today she has already eaten: A pack of oven wedges, a TV dinner, and is now onto her 4th Taco, with housemate #2, who also can't work out why he is 102kg.