Hi, new here, fairly new to Japan.

Looking forward to the winter, not too keen on the summer that's just gone.

Just wondering if I can pick some brains. I haven't got any equipment with me here. Plan to be here at least a year, but it might get to be more. (just one more year.... ;\) )

Question - buy or rent equipment? I'm hoping to go to the mountains at least 10 times - probably much more. So I suppose buying will be the better alternative. (not sure on the exact prices yet). One of the +'s of renting I suppose is I can try out lots of different gear. Just don't want it to become really really expensive.

Quote:
Originally posted by kutsurogi:
Just wondering if I can pick some brains. I haven't got any equipment with me here.
Pick them if you want but you cant ski on brains \:D
10times? buy some gear, last seasons stuff, second hand even, check out classifieds in the gaijins magazines (I have seem members of the site selling stuff there). You can pick up some cheap deals on low range stuff if you keep your eyes peeled.
Rental stuff is the pits, especially if its from "Spiceys" in Hakuba, never again.

I`d guess because one of the big problems of renting stuff here is

a) it`s difficult to get stuff to fit, especially on the smaller mountains, unless you`re built like a japanese person. Particular problems are shoe size and weight - determines length of board/skis

B) it`s not great quality (like in most countries), if you haven`t done much before it may be ok, i guess it depends what you`re used to.

If it`s not going to be just a one off and you have the money then buy. Even if it`s just 2nd hand or last seasons - you can get some really good deals here if you look. It`s so much nicer to use your own stuff. \:\) Plus it gives you that extra incentive to get to the mountains

You can always get a good bargain at the pre season sales! Whether it be last years stock or older. My friend picked up a set of Switch bindings ( maybe 2001) for 99円. Just have a look around. It's probably cheaper than rental or worth it anyway!

I was in a shop last weekend and I couldn't see "old gear" in there anymore - it was all full price new stuff they were trying to flog.

I'd buy though if you are going to be going quite a bit.

BUY!! its a must, will cost less than renting and everyones right, the rental gear here is crap, if you cant see old stock in shops just ask, quite often its just sitting out back and doing nothing, most shops will be glad to flog it off cheap, yahoo auction is also a good place to get cheap stuff.