Hey all, Heading over to Niseko Hirafu on the 27th Feb, this warm weather looks a bit worrying. Whats the snow like at the moment, still plenty of sood stuff out there, any ideas on the forecast for next week. This week looks like its another warm one.

I'm just hoping to get a couple of good days in, but hey compaired to Aussie snow, I think your worst day would still be better than our best. HEHEHE

Cheers...

Yes there is a melt off going it SUCKS. \:\(

Cant speak for Niseko. But was up at Teine Highland the other day and it was not too bad. Small amount of wet powder comming down. The groomers were in good condition. Not really any pow had to hunt hard in the trees maybee ankle to mid boot deep. \:\)

Hve fun on your trip. They still have plenty of snow there.

Putting my thinking cap on....

We had the crazy mad snow end of December and beginning of January and after that it has been very normal or even less than usual I'd say.

Last week we had a few days of rain and hardly any new snow and the last 3 days have been fine and sunny with a ton of snow melting. Almost like fine spring days these last few. There's still masses of snow around but very springlike.

I can't see us getting dumped on royally again.

It's not silly. I said "getting dumped on royally", meaning heavy snowfall.

Look back at Yuzawa from Feb / March of last year - nothing too deep falling.

I know we will get more snow but I think it will be just 10/20cm at a time, not a big dump.

Epic?!? Bloody hell that surprises me! Where were you?

I was at Kagura and I would say 'decent in places at best' is how I would describe them. Many of the slopes were icy and very 'noisy' to ride.

There have only been 3 times (out of possibly 25) when I have experienced worse conditions at Kagura.

Exactly sometimes it's warmer than usual at this time of the year.

And usually in this mid February I am busy to play with my baddy da snowblower but have not played a lot this season.

But I am not worrying so much because I have not heard Kawarahiwa (Oriental Greenfinch) visit us to sing yet.

When spring is coming, Kawarahiwa visit us then Atori (Brambling) then Johbitaki (Daurian Redstart)do but have never heard or seen any of them yet.

Hey, just back from 4 days of pow in Niseko. Well, make that 3 days, the first day was already tracked out by the time we got up the mountain in the afternoon.

The top was open yesterday (Sunday) but closed on Friday and Saturday due to high winds.

To get some awesome pow, go to the top, go skiers left across to Hanazono area OOB, i.e. conditional, not patrolled area, then traverse left over a peak and a half, coming back through the ravine and then between towers 7 and 8 on the quad. There signs at the gate(s) explaining this, you can also get a guide from the many services catering to Australians.

If you go with a guide, I recommend NAC because they are the oldest and have the most experience, and one of my mates, a pro boarder, does some work there.

Also, there was some great pow in the tree areas of Hanazono near the Quad. In the trees of Annupuri, it was a bit tracked out as well as blown off. This time we didn't concentrate on Higashiyama because I spent my last trip there.

Read a copy of Niseko Local Rules and DO NOT go into Super course area which is closed this season due to high avalance risk, you will get your pass pulled, they have frequent announcements in English and Japanese. Patrollers catch 4-5 Australians there EVERY DAY.

I saw 3-4 foreigners riding in there on Friday...

Also remember that Niseko gets a lot of good windbuff, just like Zao. So even if it ain't fresh pow, you'll have some nice windbuff pow. Just watch out for the crust layer in some areas where the underlying layers softened, melted, and then refroze with windbuff on top.

mmm, I agree this season is a strange one, so who knows from here on out, everyone keep your fingers crossed for a few more huge dumps.

December and early Jan was like heaven, I was in disbelief almost every time I skied. Unfortunately since the rain in mid Jan conditions have not recovered, sure there has been the odd good day in the last month, but unforunately in general very uncharacteristic for this time of year. so maybe we will get some big snowfalls sometime soon, keep praying