Why are there so damned many in Japan? There seem to be a huge huge amount of them - way more than back home.

Q for the lads - barber or beauty salon? I like the massage that Eriko gives me down the beauty salon... \:D

if I want something with a little style Mrs Kamo cuts it with scissors.If I feel like No.2 crewcut I do it myself with clippers.

I havent paid for a haircut in years........ \:D

It could be an illusion...

My hometown in the UK, a mere 10,000 folks, has at least six hair cutting establishments. probably about the same as a five hundred meter radius around my apartment...

Reckon there's a few more than 10,000 people living in that same area, however.

I go to the ojisan barber shop down the street. He's not much to look at but the massage is great \:\) . This guy is old skool too! He's got old style clothes and plays 50 & 60's J-rock all day long. The basic service is still 3000 yen though. I've never found a place that charges under that in Japan. Gone are the days of the $5.00 (and 5 minutes!) Universtity corner barber.... " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

i love the place i go to in nagano! for a dye and cut it's cheaper than what i'd pay in the us. and i get a massage, listen to cool music, read english magazines, and chat with the people who work there. the guy who cuts my hair is also a dj, so i also get info about parties in the city. i always have fun when i go.

When I used to be in the market for haircutting services, I'd walk into a barbers and say "I want just a haircut - no massage, no washing or other smelly activities - for 1,500 yen. How about it?" A few would tell me to bugger off, but most seemed happy to oblige. List prices are just 'for guidance'.

But now my Nashonaru clippers (a one-time cost of 4,000 yen) save me a small fortune in hair-cutting expenses, and styling is very easy - there isn't any.

Bet you PAY for that too!

There are TONS of them all over the place, I don't know how they can all survive. Either the Japanese get their hair done more than us, or..., something else.

My hairdresser told me to look out for lots of people in our area with longer or less well-kept hair these days - people aren't going to get their hair done as much as before, her business is down.

• 3 weeks later...

I always go to the same place. This massive illuminated palace of a place with about 200 staff waiting in side to scream IRRASHAIMASEEEEEEEEI! as loud as possible when you walk in.

It's a tidal wave of light and sound.

It's also the cheapest place around at 1700yen.

I pay 4000 yen. But the 2 hours I have there I really enjoy...so much better than the "experience" at the barbers back home. There are a huge amount of these places in Japan, don't know how they can all survive.

I'm hooked on my hairdressers-two cute girls who're really cool. It's also a Japanese lesson for me at the same time. They invite me out to Hanabi/ Hanabi parties and are just very friendly basically. It's worth the 4000 yen and saves me from the typical gajin answer which may as well be called the "skinhead solution". I used to have that kind of crop years ago but I'm kind of into the idea of making use of my hair while I've got it.