I have another interesting question and I hope some people might answering it.

If my parents are Catholic, is it surely case I will grow up to be Catholic? And if my parent not Catholic, I become not Catholic?

(You can swapping word Catholic with another religion name)

It is interesting whether people are growup as some religion, or another case. I hope it explain enough \:\)

Yes, I was raised to be a good christian boy, and they probably pray for my salvation every night...

I could say I hope evryday that they'll see the light, but however ridiculous I find their religiious believes, as far as I'm concerned, If it makes them happy, then so am I.

We never talk about it, because discussions never go their way. It's hard to be convincing when all you have in yer arsenal is..."But the bible says..."

Bitter about my upbringing? Not openly, but as one can probably tell from my posts on the subject, a little resentment resides. I think everyone has the right to choose to follow a religion, but when parents/the church/the state think that faith and truth are interlinked, religion has overstepped the mark.

(I'll stop before I go to far, the last time I used my right to free speech on religion I lost a star lol.gif )

Quote:
Originally posted by nori-chan:
If my parents are Catholic, is it surely case I will grow up to be Catholic? And if my parent not Catholic, I become not Catholic?
Traditionally children take on thier mother's religon and their father's political beliefs.
So traditional families tend to impose their beliefs on their children. Others raise their children with a religon but then allow their children to make up their own minds when they are older.

I wasn't raised in a religous household. But i did go to a Church of England high school. We had to go to church once a week and did a subject called "Divinity" tiwce a week.

That didn't have any effect on my "religiousness" (or lack there of).

In reply to the topic question:

My mother's parents are extremely religious. My mom did not subscribe to this. Same with my pops. My parents never took me to church, but allowed me to go to church with friends. I visited churches of the baptist, mormon, protestant and catholic faith. I'd come home and my parents would ask me if I had fun or not and that was it. Frankly, even at a young age, I thought it was all a bunch of BS.

Religion is personal. The family guilt isn't working too well in a lot of places in the US any more. Well, maybe Texass and the midwest, but not many other places.

My parents were both not into religion at all, so I never grew up in a religious environment. I'm sure if I grew up with it all round me there'd be a much bigger chance I'd take it on myself. Glad it didn't work out that way.

My grandparents were very religious - as were many of their generation. My parents less so, but I was still dragged to church when I was younger. I didn't like it, and they stopped themselves when I was about 14 so there were no problems with me being anti-religion.

Being forced to sit through 'Religious Education' classes at school was a rare kind of torture.

It was a State school and it was supposed to be comparative religion which might have been interesting. But instead we had a Christian who was in advanced stages of alcoholism, who would lean against the teacher's desk like it was a bar. With a public house philospher's hand gesture he would intone "Ya have to turn yourself to God". I compared notes with my older sister and she said the old w*nker had said the same thing to their class two years earlier with exactly the same gesture of inspecting a glass for lipstick stains.

Also the Headmaster's unauthorized sermons in morning assembly filled me with rage and a strong urge to heckle. The Jewish kids were spared it because it wasn't their religion and they always came in afterwards just to listen to the announcements. I wanted to know why I wasn't spared it too because it wasn't my religion either.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
I wasn't raised in a religous household. But i did go to a Church of England high school. We had to go to church once a week and did a subject called "Divinity" tiwce a week.
as did i. what school were you at in sydney?

Shore in North Syndey. Did you go to school in Sydney too manda?

I did comparitive religion at uni and thoroughly enjoyed it. "Divinity" how ever was far from comparitive. More like "if you don't live this way your a sinner and will burn in hell" blah blah blah.

I was raised Catholic, and dragged to church every week. Nowadays, the majority of the time, I side against religious thinkers, but a small part of me can't discount the faith entirely.

I guess on some level I have been brainwashed, but I am cool with it. I think that alot of the Christian symbolism is interesting. But as a scientist, I would never use "Well the Bible says. . ." as support for anything other than anthropological evidence for behavior.

I was brought up in a religious family, and was also dragged to church every Sunday up until I was a teen, so I supposed I just accepted it. I've nothing against it now, but will never be in another Sunday church servive I can tell ya.