This might have been done before, but - what is it with the high-pitched squeaky voices Japanese ladies seem to have to put on in shops and making announcements etc?

Is it supposed to be cute or what?

It drives me nuts personally. It sounds so forced.

I think this might have been done before Roger.

A girl in our office has the high-pitch - when she's on the phone and talking to customers of course. As soon as she's off, her voice reverts back to this almost gruff low voice. The contrast is startling. Knowing her natural voice, she must be putting a lot of effort into everything she says to customers. lol.gif Poor woman.

I spoke to a woman at Yahoo BB support yesterday and I wasn't sure at first if she was actually human. There was a long pause after her amazingly long and redundant introductory spiel while I thought through the implications of trying to talk to a recording or a robotic voice. Then she said "Mishi mishi...?".

Everything was an adenoidal "dehngozaimasuka?", an approach which doesn't match the ideally fast give and take of a service call.

The feminine voice and the intricacies of keigo can be charming when you meet a practioner who understands the true point of them. But seeing as most Japanese don't these days (if indeed they ever did), the conventions are just grating.

The other day I listened to an arubaito girl yelling keigo nothings at the top of her voice as she took somebody's order in a restaurant. It literally made me wince to listen to the parody of politeness and service. I just wanted to say "Oh be quiet!"

:rolleyes: Yes.

I saw a documentary on some of the squeaky voice training they go through a while back. It was quite an eye-opener. For some of these departo store workers and the like, this is a major part of their job/training - or so it seems.