That big rock in the middle of Australia

The power of plate tectonics and differential weathering on exhibit.

It's a huge rock in the middle of one hot-ass desert. Big freakin' woop. It's like Monument Valley in Utah, but there is only one rock. Proof that Australia is the land of the unambitious.

What the hell good has ever come from down under anyway? Mel Gibson used to be a claim to fame, but his latest project has mired his name in infamy for the rest of history. Charlize Theron, I suppose, is someone to be proud of. Oh wait, she's from S. Africa. Nevermind. Kylie Minogue? Nah...... Vegemite? sick.

Wait, what were we talking about here? Uluru?

\:\) \:\) \:D \:D \:\) \:\)

Just kidding. I'm never been but would absolutely love to go. Australia is one of those mysterious places that I would love to take a year or two to explore. I'd have to say Uluru is definately something to see:

nt2.jpg

Ayres Rock is unbelieveable. yes it is a big rock in the middle of Aust, but when you get there it has a certain aura about it that you can only understand by going there. ive climbed right to the top of it, and its amazing as you can see for miles out over the very harsh desert that surrounds it. probably one of the highlights of going there is watching the rock change colour when the sun sets - its really quite amazing, and quite hard to describe in words. If your going spend a bit of time in Aust I would reccommed visiting the Northern Territory.

um... it would probably be about 400 + meters high, and would be a couple of km's long. but because it sticks out in the middle of nowhere, with no other mountains around it, it seems really big. Although there was some talk awhile ago that they were going to ban people climbing it because it was a sacred aboriginal place.

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
Is it, er, bigger than it looks? Some comparisons? Ah, go on!
Here are a few comparisons with some world famous landmarks. Hope this helps!

l74073.jpg

**Not entirely to scale, but the best I could do in 10 minutes. Note that Godzilla is actually 5 times the size he is in the picture.

yes, they do climb it.

After years of seeing images like the one above I was shocked to find out that the reverse side of the rock (the one you never see in photos) is not nearly as steep or impressive. As Godzilla, he is pissed at seeing the boring secret rear end of the rock.

none the less, it is an impressive monolith when seen from the front. I certainly do not mean to detract from it.

I hear that the very rare rainstoms are well worth seeing, with instant white waterfalls gushing down the sides if the red rock.

make sure you don't take any of it with you! Its cursed and will bring you bad luck. My ex did it and she had a bad luck spell from hell till it was put back up there!

The Nationl parks and wildlife service up there receive rocks taken from there in all shapes and sizes sent in from all over the world from people who were naughty and took a piece home!

There have been rare occasions (I've read & heard)where snow has fallen at the rock. Not exactly like settling and building up a base - now that'd be serious vertical to entertain.

Of course the combinations of atmospheric conditions for this to occur keep it in the rare basket. Be a buzz tho'. \:D

Great Pix.

And there is no boring side. In fact the markings and weatherings on some of the other "sides" are down right dali-esque.

And the nearby Olgas are in the same league. \:\)