My friend and I plan to go to England in June maybe. We are interested in going to seeing good musical. At moment we think maybe Les Miserables or Fantom of Opera or something. Did somebody see any? And what do you recommend to us?

Thank you!!!

sachiko

Phantom of the Opera is very classic and good, Chicago is modern and good.

It was difficult to get the ticket of Mamma mia! when I was there. I got it for my mom and friends. They said it was fun.

Before I saw les miz I had this image of cringe-inducing happy musicals, real corny like. But I was impressed with les miz. Wouldn't mind seeing some other similarly "serious" ones.

I have seen Phantom, Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Blood Brothers, Cats.

Which was best? Here's my ranking

Les Miserables

Miss Saigon

Blood Brothers

Phantom

Cats

I was lucky enough to see Les Mis with some of the original and best cast in there - Colm in the main part and Michael Ball as Marius. \:D

I saw a less famous one - Aspects of Love. It was like a company night out. I was thoroughly bored, didn't enjoy it at all.

But everyone does seem to say great things about Les Miseables, so perhaps I might give that one a chance some day.

sachiko - have you seen any of them when theyve been on in Japan at all? I know Les Miz and Saigon have been here since I've been in Japan.

The only musical I've seen is that episode of Buffy where they all sang. lol.gif

Talking of Buffy, did anyone else see that excellent episode where there's no talking? Very well made.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw "les miz" and couldn't stand it. Cant stand teh nickname "les miz" either. It is so cliched to swoon after those types of shows. Musicals tick me off anyway.

If I want dramatic music I will see an orchestra. If I want singing I will see an opera. If I want theatrics then I will see a stage play. All of which I used to do regularly in Sydney. Lumping them all together just shits me.

Usually the play is rolling along quite well until some toss-bag starts over dramatising and singing. What happened to the play? Shut up idiot and get on with the story, the song is crap. Oh, thats right, the song is part of the story. So is the exit door. See ya.

I hate the Sound of Music as well. Makes me sick when people start chiming in and singing along to all the popular tunes from that horrid show.

Sachiko, I suggest you pass over the musicals and find a good stage play. They can be amazing, often far more gripping and entertaining than a movie. A friend and I in Sydney would see about 6 per year, many off which were free theater put on by the undergraduate class at the acting schools/universities. You will be amazed how much impact some basic stage acting can have! All without having to resort to catchy tunes for mass public appeal.

You can stick Hair up your jumper as well.

The cool thing about small theater is that you can wear a beret and look like a thespian type.

My missus bought the video of Cabaret on Yafoo Auctions the other day. It's brilliantly made, and the songs are worked in as a commentary so that you don't have that 'suddenly breaking into song' aspect that troubles the overly literal-minded.

The only musical worth watching is The Blues Brothers. If you are going to break into song then at least make them good ones. Most musicals suck a large amount of arse, CATS being the pinnacle of this particular pile of entertainment excrement.

Enough negative posts today, I'm really a happy chappie wave.gif