I just saw on the TV something about the forms that people have to fill in if they enter the US.

After 9/11, it seems that the following question has been added:

- do you intend to commit any acts of terrorism whilst in the US

lol.gif wakaranai.gif

Can you believe that? (And is it actually true)? It was on Fox News.

It is indeed a silly question. There are others on the same form, asking if you're a drug dealer, etc.

Nobody expects those intending acts of terrorism to check the "yes" box. Naturally, they check the "no" box.

But when later they are found (such determination by the immigration service could occur while the alien is inside or outside the US) to have entered the US intending an act of terrorism (that may not have even actually occurred, for whatever reason), then they are presumptively guilty of visa fraud...because they lied on their application.

This has several consequences, not the least of which is quick deportation and/or denial of future entry. They can be legally and summarily removed from the US and/or blocked from entering it.

We may ask why this is necessary. One reason is that any separate proceeding in another country and/or in the US for an inchoate or completed act of terrorism may or may not produce a timely verdict or disposition leading to deportation from the US and/or denial of entry. In reality, such proceedings could take years, result in a acquittal on a technicality or mistrial, lack of evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, etc.

Therefore it's a major added convenience to be able to say, Whatever happens in your other proceedings, we the immigration service have determined based on our own rules of evidence and procedure that you have committed visa fraud, so now we don't have to let you in. End of story.

It all sounds a bit convoluted and absurd, but that's the way it works, folks.

Think of OJ Simpson being acquitted of murder in the criminal case, then found liable for wrongful death in the civil case. Did the Law say whether OJ killed his wife or not? It said both. Different proceedings, different rules of evidence and procedure, different standards of proof.

I'm not defending the US immigration regime. In fact I find it prohibitively complex, disastrously ineffecient and wasteful, insanely arbitrary and fully fricked-up by rule, regulation and the low quality of its front-line enforcement personnel. It's sputtering on the verge of collapse...just exactly where it has been for decades, and where it will always be.

What do you expect from a country with giant porous borders, where you get to be a citizen and have a passport 5 years after first entering it.

Try that in Japan.

I am merely explaining the rationale for the silly question. OK?

\:D

Quote:
Originally posted by barbarabara:
Plucky

Do you think that terrorists attempting to enter the US would tick "yes, we intend to commit acts of terrorism" on the form??

----

Look it up?? Look WHAT up?
Thanks for typing that up badm. Good job. It just goes deeper than it seems on the surface and your post illustrated it well.

Yeah, the movie I wanted to see isn't playing, so....I'll share a story.

As far as US imigration, passport control, customs goes - it sucks! I flew to Vegas this past december and got into the country without a passport AND I had a knife on my keychain. I was on the Shinkasen from Misawa to Tokyo and around Sendai I got a sick feeling in my stomache - I left my passport at home (bonehead move of the year) Well, I had a military contractor ID (worthless), but the lady at Narita said I should be okay. I got to San Francisco, got up to the customs dude, he just looked at me, sans passport, and said "I can tell you're American. Don't do it again" and let me in. Oh, and I made it through the metal dectector with my knife in my pocket. I didn't realize I had it on my until I got to my hotel.

Shit is so hit or miss nowdays. The questions on the form are more of a trap (as badm said). A lot of other countries do the exact same thing. Maybe the US is the first of the western world to do it, but I'd say they have a good reason.

Peace and prayers for those in madrid.

Going thru English security once, I had a key ring from my days in the army made of a grenade pin ring with an empty cartridge case with hole drilled thru the top of it on the ring (a dumb, heavy key ring it was too). Security matey decided the empty cartrige was a security risk and insisted on a long procedure so that the empty cartridge could fly in the belly of the plane. I was tempted to tell him what the ring was too, but figured that the damn jobsworth would decide I was just a walking threat and not let me on the plane at all. "Oh my god, get down everybody, he's got an EMPTY CARTRIDGE!!"

Of course I also had a knife on my person that they completely overlooked...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
I also had a knife on my person that they completely overlooked...
Sorry for your disappointment, 011. The secret is you have to "have a knife on another person" in order to make them take notice!

Speaking of plastic knives. Last year took a group back to Oz. A 6yr. olds innocuous litle paper scissors in her pencil case were confiscated after careful scrutiny and measurement. They came in at mm's over the official allowable length.

Oh well - that's the rule.

But in flight - Singapore Airline living up to their rep. for quality service - served all pasengers with good ol' stainless steel cutlery. You know the type - like your grandma used to have (or still does)

Begging for a rational explanation? confused.gif

Kling Klang - Singapore deal out the real cutlery to all & sundry in economy class, so

I don't know about 1st & business class.

But the nosh is pretty good as is everything.

My Fave Airline.